grevillea dig

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
lowlegs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4

grevillea dig

Post by lowlegs »

should i have a go at digging this grevillea out? its a nice lil tree. its been cut back alot and will make a great taper on the left. has leaves like a silky oak but they only seem to grow to around 3m
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: 0

Re: grevillea dig

Post by IS2SXC »

of course you should have a go but i heard they are hard to collect so try and get as much of the fine roots as possible :D

i always love a good dig

cheers minh
lowlegs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by lowlegs »

on to it hope its not too late :)
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Hey low legs, personally i dont think this variety of grevillea will make good bonsai. way too course and sparse. jmo. :D ;) 8-)
Regards Antonio:
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by IS2SXC »

anttal63 wrote:Hey low legs, personally i dont think this variety of grevillea will make good bonsai. way too course and sparse. jmo. :D ;) 8-)

Thats what they say about peaches and nectarines but i seem to see very nice ones give it a go who knows you might be the only person to have a beatiful grevillea bonsai

p.s if you don't ANT might dig it hahhahahha :lol:

cheers minh
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

Im with Ant

if it where me id save your energy duck down to the local native nursery grab a nice little well suited tree plant it in the ground and work on it from there youll get better results than working with this species and in a shorter time
just because its a native tree dosnt mean it can be bonsai
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

It looks like one of the myriad hybrid grevillea's around. I am the first to say go for it on a dig, but with these I wouldnt waste my time & effort. Most grevillea are very funny about having there roots worked, in the ground they have a very coarse far spreading root structure with little or no close feeders. If you really like this tree's growth habit bark etc start with a seedling and train it up in a pot from day one.

I raised a batch of seedlings but am down to just 1 out of 40, they really did not like the various experiments I have been trying on them, especially having the tap root cut. The remaining one has just been repotted again & it has actually started to get a decent radial root spread. Will keep working with it till it either dies or becomes something worth showing.

If you do dig this tree, take pics of what & how you did it & let us all know if its successful or not, so we can all learn.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”