Air Layer Prunus Dulcis.[orange roots]

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Air Layer Prunus Dulcis.[orange roots]

Post by boom64 »

Hi All,
Recently did a few late Air Layers,end of November.A bit late but thought i would still try :fc: Checked them today,some success others hopefuly soon.The picture below is of one of my Almonds.Would like to know about the orange colouring on the roots? As this is my first time i have struck them.
The Air Layer was a 1cm cut,hormone powder and sphagum moss.Bubble wrap then a bit of black plastic covering it.I did the cut on a 45% as there was some good flare from an old branch.It recieved morning sun only.
My plan is to let it get going,then cut back the branches next winter,get some small branches hapening.Hopefuly a nice little shohin.Any advice gladly appreciated . :lost:
Thanks John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Air Layer Prunus Dulcis.[orange roots]

Post by Bougy Fan »

Were the roots sticking out from the layer in the air ? If it is not humid the roots go brown and die if out in the air (air pruning) Just a thought

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi John,

It is very satisfying seeing roots come out like that -- even on somebody's else tree :) Did you just separate it this January?

If so, are you worrying about the summer heat?

Best regards.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey John,

What a great little airlayer with a a fantastic set of roots, you should have no problems with it taking off, just keep it a little more sheltered than the rest of your trees for a few weeks till it gets roots out into the soil.

Don't worry about the colour of the roots, they look strong & healthy. I dont know this species, it could just be the natural colour of the root tips or as a result of them drying as Tony has mentioned.

Did you open up the root ball any or just pot up as is? The usual with layers is to just pot up as is, the new roots are very fragile but if your careful it is possible to tease some of them out, it makes things easier when you repot for the first time.

Look forward to seeing this one as it progresses, congratulations & well done, now go & do some more layers :yes:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Tony,
The roots were inside the plastic bubble wrap.I also did a second Almond Air Layer , it had a similiar amount of roots but no orange tips. :lost:
Hi Daiviet
Thanks for the feedback :) .I seperated yesterday, i have it in a very sheltered area against a brick wall on the south side of the house ,cool with a llittle dappled light.I think i have enough time to push out some growth :fc:
Hi Matt
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.I did tease the roots out ,as most were on the outside of the sphagnum moss.I also seperated another Almond , it had a similiar amount of roots,but no orange.With this one i cut down a tile to a 80mm circle and planted on top.The roots overhung enough to reach the growing medium.Around the base of the trunk i covered with 2-7mm diatomite.Hope i am not being to brave.
I have 20 Air Layers at home and another 10 at my parents,have several on a old nashi pear :fc: .These were done on boxing day. However will take your advice and go forth and layer :)
Thanks John.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi John, how are the progressing? Any updates?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”