Air Layering

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Air Layering

Post by Bretts »

by Hector Johnson on Today, 01:01

I'd be tempted to toss in a little indole butyric acid (root hormone) for luck,
In other words Auxin plant starter :P :D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

soltan wrote:
by Hector Johnson on Today, 01:01

I'd be tempted to toss in a little indole butyric acid (root hormone) for luck,
In other words Auxin plant starter :P :D
ohesnoes...
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Since your being so critical I guess it is lucky I said "auxin plant starter" I let the experts work out which auxin to put in the products.
Your claim of IAA not being used as an added auxin is very interesting as that is one of two auxins that are the added ingredient of the plant starter that I use called Nurserymans Brand. I have seen this Auxin utilised in many experiments to do with added auxin root generation to the normal effect.
I would be interested were this information has come from.

I don't think using the blanket term auxin is silly at all. I don't think it necessary to list every feasible added auxin that the experts put in plant starters in case some entrepreneurial soul went out and sourced his own auxin chemical and worked out the dosage rate without looking at what specific Auxin to use.
Instead of buying any plant starter that has the best auxins already in it with recommended dilution.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

That seems like an interesting book I will have to chase it up. Any chance of a excerpt on this though.
Nurserymans Brand Plant Starter is a plain lable bargain brand and IAA is only listed as an active ingredient as per the law.
Seasol also contains IAA I believe

8% IBA sounds very high. I guess that is a cuttings strenght rooting product. Do you use this on established roots? Just chucking some in with out any specific dosage rate is silly.
Last edited by Bretts on February 25th, 2009, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Getting the auxin levles exact is very important too little with have no effect too much can kill. I would recomend that you purchase a plant starter like mine or Multicrop or even seasol that have the dilutions at set amounts for this regard.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”