My first living landscape with my Yoan Rock.

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

My first living landscape with my Yoan Rock.

Post by Bush bunny »

One armed fishman and pond..jpg
Landscape from the side.jpg
Landscape from the side.jpg
Please don't shoot me down in flames, please. I really enjoyed setting it up. My only regret is the container an old bronzey table top, with holes drilled in it wasn't big enough for me to show the rock off at its best.

I made my own recipe of peat muck. Vermicompost, spags moss, dried sheep manure, and a wee bit of builders mortar. And some bonsai mix for the Juniper.

I tried to make it nicely with a bit of mystique. The moss came from our local native tree people who gave me the liver wort and ordinary moss. They should like the peat muck. And one nice looking weed I found in one of my pots.

The Chinaman, rocks and bird are the remains of the first bonsai pot I was given. He has to have his fishing rod, I'll make out of bamboo and give him a fish too. The little pond is filled with duck weed and thread algae with a resident tiny snail. The juniper is about 2 years old, and not trained. I have two small ones too, but I'll put them in tomorrow. I can't work for long with my hands and back. Old age. I have some pebbles too I have to add.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: My first living landscape with my Yoan Rock.

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bush bunny . if this is your first landscape then its pretty good at that . Personally I would rotate or lean the juniper away from the rock mountains to show them off, a wee trim of the foliage and its well on its way . As i have been told many times "clean the B%!<>y pot" :oops: ..

Well done . Cheers . Alpine
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

alpineart wrote:Personally I would rotate or lean the juniper away from the rock mountains to show them off, a wee trim of the foliage and its well on its way . As i have been told many times "clean the B%!<>y pot" :oops: ..

Well done . Cheers . Alpine
Like Alps said there needs to be some negative space ( a gap) between the tree and the rock
You could trim the branches back on that side to gains some space rather than repotting.

And Yes, clean th pot before presenting :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Oh, sorry perfectionists, LOL. :aussie: It's going to be moved into semi shade tomorrow. I can not lift it I made a mini bamboo rod, with a little reel, and a big fish. I think I moved one the branches away to take the close up pic of the fisherman. But I'll look at it with new eyes. Tomorrow. And take more pics. I was going to trim the tree but I was intending to let it settle first?

Cheers

Pat
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

One armed Chinaman with rod, reel and fish..jpg
Landscape from top.jpg
Where landscape is placed..jpg
Hi took your advice. And here are the latest pics. The tray is placed on a bird bath, with wooden battens underneath so it can drain. I noted the pond was empty today, so it isn't water tight.
It has been placed in the enchanted garden under construction, and it is in the shade most of the day, I was thinking of the moss. It does get some early morning sun. I spread the rock the Yuan a bit to one side, and moved the Juniper slightly away and cut off two lower branches. Super glued the rod to the Chinaman. But left the view you'd see when coming from the back door.

And CLEANED IT UP. LOL :fc:

Cheers

Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Back of Yuan Rock on landscape.jpg
Another pic of the back of the Yuan Rock. The front has little specks of mica on it.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bush bunny , thats looking better , now can we have a pic taken lower down at the front showing the landscape view , not a plan view looking down at an angle . I know some people are hard to please but it is a landscape ;) so as with all bonsai shoot from the front to show off the depth of your work .

I'm far from a perfectionist :palm: just like to see the best in everything including others works :D .

Cheers . Alpine
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi OK but my color printer is running out unfortunately, that's why the Y rock looked blueish, which it isn't. So I get down low (if I can) I take pics as if the tray was at eye level?

Cheers

Pat :wave:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

It looks like you are creating a Fairy garden so may i recommend a viewing seat to sit and take it all in :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Bush bunny wrote:Hi OK but my color printer is running out unfortunately, that's why the Y rock looked blueish, which it isn't. So I get down low (if I can) I take pics as if the tray was at eye level?

Cheers

Pat :wave:
Why are you printing? That explains the grainy photos.

Copy the photos from camera to computer, Resize them and upload those.
The quality will be much better and you will not need to print first then scan?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

It doesn't matter so much as I use them for my bonsai cert hard copy. I don't know how to do it, quite honest. We have chairs along the back wall don't worry. And you can see the enchanted garden from the dining room and the kitchen. It is part of my Horticulture project too. :cool:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

DSC02246.JPG
DSC02246.JPG
Hi again, resizing pics is not available on the Menu board but I tried. So let's see, I can't bend down very well, arthritis sorry. But I tried these, now if the resize works, well we are home and hosed.

The distance actually can't well, the chinaman is actually above the valley. With a stream going between the Y rock and the little hill he is on. The gaps are to allow the moss to grow.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Don't know how got two pics of one angle. Cheers. Saved my printer.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by SpongeMann »

It is coming along that is alot better than mine which is my first also. I know I didnt do that well but the im getting good growth after beating up the trees trunk a lil bit.I need a pot for it now. The tuff love and good suggestions from the guys paid off . Cheers everyone
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

I just used an old metal (not bronze or copper) coffee table top. John, punched several drainage holes in it. We moved it from the bird bath, and now sits on an old pot bellied BBQ where any drainage will run away easily and not collect. However, since those pics were taken the moss has died off, expendable, I've left it to hold the peat muck in place, but the juniper has sprouted tiny white flowers. And the weed has grown well. (Yeah, some weeds are OK this one has a ferny look and holds the soil in place well). :lol:

Why I like landscapes? It appeals to my creative nature but also for a beginner/novice, one can see some results. If the tree grows too large, then you can replace it with another and pot the original on its own. My next project is a large Hobbit landscape. But that will have stay put where we have placed it on a metal table, with a wooden base. Mountains and all, and a hobbit house, etc. (An old tree gall about the size of a soft ball) It was a home for wasps once, and I used the hole for a chimney stack. And I can sit down and construct it rather than bend. Cheers. You could use a large piece of slate or stone or even wood. If you can drill a few drainage holes in it?

I loved my Yuan Rock though. I was almost thinking of making it a solitary viewing rock but decided to use it here. It has small specks of mica on it.

Return to “The Menu”