Ausbonsai what to expect

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ausbonsai what to expect

Post by EdwardH »

What do I want from Ausbonsai...

More aussie natives of course :lol:

Truth is I love seeing progression photos and the competitions are great (even if my entries do not live long enough to reach the finsh line :palm: ) I have also read every book I could buy or borrow and over a number of years but find that I simply forget things. I love to read (i.e. listen) to people more knowledgeable than me even if they are answering similar questions.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast/ Tweed

Post by Ray »

What about making threads that contain useful information, "sticky" posts (as an example, pruning junipers was mentioned earlier, when a useful discussion occurs, if it's made a sticky, it stays at the top of the thread page and is easy to find, for beginners who may not know what topic to actually search for.)

This is a large forum, with a high turn over of postings, up to 5 pages of new content each day, sometimes reading a thread title doesn't give away what is in the thread, so it gets glossed over and potentially interesting reading goes unnoticed. Search functions are hit and miss, more so on larger forums like this.

I like the discussions about future styling of trees, development series pictorials and gaining knowledge and ideas about material and techniques that help to motivate my desire to do more than water and tip pinch... :tu2:
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

I agree Pup, I think the search function works really well, I have used it a number of times.

What I'd like to see is more content from everyone, I know Im trying to do my bit, but I have limited knowledge to offer.
The best I can do atm is to record what I am doing and the results and when I have world famous trees post it all up.

Cheers

Scott.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

HMMMM..First and foremost, we need a grumpy old bugger on this site and you fit the job description to a "T " Pup. Wouldn't be the same if you weren't here. I like all things Bonsai and this is Australia's numero ono site. I post to sometimes get a tree critiqued by people more learned than myself and this has ALWAYS been a positive outcome for me. It has improved my overall understanding of all things Bonsai. I post as sometimes i am proud of a tree and want to share it with the Aus Bonsai community and that makes me happy. I post as sometimes i think i can help somebody improve their understanding of Bonsai. I have also posted negatively and learned from that, that it is not the way to go. I posted yesterday regards a tree that i thought had gone into a Bonsai pot way to soon and i hope i answered with enthusiasm enough for the person to consider moving it into a grow pot. These are the things that i expect from the Ausbonsai site and it is meeting my needs adequately. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Leevers
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Leevers »

I think it's quite obviously that many have different opinions regarding this topic. I for one, whilst I don't post often, find the information given by experiences all round are nothing but helpful in my knowledge building. As I have not being around the traps all that often, I am grateful for the information provided.

I have had the opportunity of spending a couple of hours with Pup while he shares his knowledge with me. This to me is an experience that would not have existed it if wasn't for Ausbonsai. If nothing else came from this site, I at least know I have the ability to connect with others in a social, respectful manner whilst learning from those who wish to share their experiences and teach others the finer arts of Bonsai management.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by krittas »

HOT TOPIC....i agree with what pup is saying in some aspects but then i agree with what rowan has said...
The search function doesnt always make things easy but like all things in life with abit of time spent getting familiar with it it can help...people should be alowed to ask questions no matter if they have been asked a million times before as this is the way we learn (asking questions) but perhaps mention that "you have tried a search and had no luck"...
As rowan mentioned "there is nothing to say you have to reply" perhaps pup you could take a step back and let someone else do the work...if you no its been mentioned before place a quick link to the topic in a reply....
Im sure it is frustrating to some but remember that everyone starts from somewhere and once ppl learn how to use the site and functions your frustration will turn to joy knowing that youve taught someone else another secret of the art....lol :tu: thats what makes aussies differant to everyone else we accomadate all....

As for me i believe that steven was just trying to improve the site for us newcomers...and good on him :yes:
The site can only get better i think....
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistermon, Acacia

Post by dannynovo »

[quote="Pup"]This has been bugging me for sometime. I am often portrayed, as a grumpy old tyrant, that does not worry me. I am however concerned that what is being expected of the site, and the many practitioners of Bonsai and Penjing that frequent this site.

There are many that are newbies as they label themselves, there are many that are intermediate, there are also many ( though participation levels are low for these Masters not my word but a western concept ) experienced growers stylists technicians.

What do you want from your participation?. To be told the truth or have your ego stoked!.

I'd like to answer Pup's first question.....
For :2c: personally, i'd rather be told truthfully on a post, as to wether i asked a stupid question or post a pic for viewing or told to search for a particular post, previously answered.....it is all depending on the way the answer is given.....to date i have asked some dumb questions and had responses that might be deemed blunt by others....but thank god for emicons :tu:.......generally the posts that i have submitted have been responded too with genuine enthuseasim :reading: and respect by the members that have thankfully answered me.
Danny....

Also like to add that Andrew Legg response covered the overall topic very well indeed....
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

100% agree with Leggy. The site is for anyone and everyone to use in a way that suits them and as long as a they dont act irresponsibly in terms of their courtesy to other users, then they should be able to use it in their own way. Would the site be what it is today if it were censored by Steven due to posting similar topics? I say read and reply to the topics that interest you or the ones you feel you might be able to contribute valuable information to and dont let the rest bother you. Personally, I want this site to continue to be welcoming to both long term members and new users alike.

I would be horrified if I asked a question at my local bonsai club and was told "Theres the library, go find the answer yourself"
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive

Post by Greth »

Webos wrote:

I would be horrified if I asked a question at my local bonsai club and was told "Theres the library, go find the answer yourself"
Yeah, that would kinda take the meaning out of any club, wouldn't it?

I don't actually think Pup is a grumpy old bugger, he has always been a softie to me, he just likes people to think he is a grumpy old bugger so that they tremble in their boots slightly and THINK about their questions before they ask for help. Which is a good thing anyway.

I am not a bonsai expert at all, but I would consider myself a herb expert, and selling herbs at markets etc, I expose myself to every kind of weird or silly question from every variety of newbie or crank imaginable! And I love it, teaching is something I enjoy very much.
Sometimes when one isn't in the mood it does get on the nerves. Best to retreat from answering, rather than lash out at the possibly innocent beginner with the slightly silly question. With online questions, I just leave the silly ones for later hoping someone else will answer or that they will forget their question and drift away.. :P
Or maybe I will eventually feel patient enough to come back and construct the same answer as last time yet again.

My 2 cents..
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Leigh Taafe wrote:
blkrota wrote:Hmm what i ask of ausbonsai??

More pictures of quality work :tu:
I would love to see this too. Techniques used to get good trees in shape, not just a picture of a good tree. I have started taking pictures of long term projects that I have been doing here at home. When I get some results from what I am doing, I will post the progression. I hope others will also do this. Would be great to see some progression and pictures of techniques being used by other experienced artists aswell.
I agree, more photos of techniques would be nice. There have been a few good examples of this recently (Bodhidarma's wiring cedar project, Jow's radiata thread, the constant updates from Grant and Leigh at NBPCA) and they have been pretty inspiring.

In my personal opinion, I don't think this site has finished growing. As an example, there are still many species of plant usable in bonsai that have had little if any mention at all here.

What I get out from this site is the atmosphere created through the constructive, often friendly commentary of fellow members, and the sense of enthusiasm and passion for bonsai. That is why I keep coming, and it has been to some degree what has motivated me to continue pursuing this interest.

James
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Pup,

This reads like others that have been posted in the past... bit like those newbie questions that so irritate you....

What do I expect from Ausbonsai... exactly what I get, a place to share my own experiences, learn from others experiences & best of all see lots of aussie natives as bonsai & also inspirational trees in nature that members often post.

I often use the search function on here & even tho I know what i am looking for it gets frustrating in the extreme so i can fully understand why so many beginners ask the same questions over & over. Having said that when I search google etal I am often directed straight back to Ausbonsai for the most comprehensive information on so many species both native & exotic.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Sean M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society; Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Post by Sean M »

Andrew Legg wrote:
sean.mitchell1 wrote:As a self confessed newb I'm quite happy to go off and do all my own research and pick up a tree and give it a hack, in fact its what I've done on all bar 2 plants so far. The two that I did post up here with questions due to my lack of experience ended up with, don't bonsai it and treat it like any other one of that type. To me thats a little negative . . . . . . I'd be willing to travel the distance to punch them in the suiseki's. :) But really I guess it comes down to personnal preference if you want to contribute. At least this forum doesn't jump on people for spelling mistakes!
Hey Sean,

You missed a " ' " in "that's". Oh, and "personal" has one "n". Just thought I'd point it out. Hope that's OK and you don't take it personally.

Cheers,

Andrew

:whistle:
cud b wrse i cud typ leik dis.

But apart from my negativity I guess what I really want to see is more progression pics. I really enjoy the before and after shots.
So the Redwood turns to the Bonsai and says "Lend me a Tenner"......
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Post by lennard »

I have joint a lot of bonsai forums - some claiming to be international bonsai forums, but as a South- African, I did not felt welcome at some of them.

I expect Ausbonsai to let everyone (excluding trolls) feel welcome to post.

Here is a short funny interval for this thread:

http://www.nag.co.za/forums/showthread. ... 59ba9f4419

Lennard
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Interesting diversion Lennard
I hope we never get advice like that here :-) root prune every 2 weeks LOL :lol: :lol:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
dragon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus

Post by dragon »

now for my opinion :twisted:
i joined this forum because i wanted to learn more from the people with experience as for the last 5 months i have been house bound :(
i couldnt get out to meetings so i came here for some good advice :fc: and i am satisfied with the advice i get :clap: so i give give my
full congradulations to you all and that includes pup,tex,kcpoole, chris,bohdi and all you other men and wemon in this forum you have
helped me a considerable amount thankyou :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
cheers dean :twisted:

Return to “The Menu”