Has Ausbonsai got a problem with the Website

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

alpharipper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elms
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Has Ausbonsai got a problem with the Website

Post by alpharipper »

Same issues as everyone else. PHPBB have been getting hacked recently, I had a fishing club site I did went down last week. They totally got that and I had to rebuild.

This is a bit different to what experience I had, so couldnt be sure. Needs urgent attension though. One way to start to know if members are starting to get spam emails through. If they are they are getting your emails from somewhere and this is normally when they hack sites.

Food for thought.
Andrew P
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi all

looks like all ( most) has been recovered.

Ausbonsai is located on a hosted environment, and as such the hosting provider is responsible for all backups and data securi9ty and server uptime.

Seems that late Friday there was some server issue that Stuffed up the database, and the software that serves up the site. Some functionality was restored on Saturday and Steven advised the hosting provider that all was not still right. Another restore was needed. that was completed something today and seems that all is OK.
Like all database restores, some data may have been lost between the restore time and the original crash, and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Ken Steven and the Mod team :-)
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings Gentle Bonsai Folk,
Computer and software problems are your trees way of telling you to pay them more attention. Be happy do bonsai.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Gareth »

bonsaibruce wrote:Greetings Gentle Bonsai Folk,
Computer and software problems are your trees way of telling you to pay them more attention. Be happy do bonsai.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
ironic that you on a computer posting this, or not?????
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Ironic indeed.

So as of this morning it would appear to me that the problems that have plagued Ausbonsai for the past few days have gone.
No longer do I receive the script error at the top of my page....

Unfortunately it would appear that all posts, threads, PMs and messages from the 26th of November to December 7th have been lost - either temporarily or more than likely permanently....

It would be nice to have a formal status update from Mod's / Owners?
A bit of re-assurance that this unfortunate event will not be repeated would be great as well.
I don't mean this in any negative way but I'm sure this event has knocked the confidence of a few...
The lack of posts since Friday is a clear indicator of this...

Let's face it we don't want to be posting and sharing information that has the potential to be readily lost from time to time...
I hope we get on top of it and see AusBonsai back to it's former glory!

Regards,

Boics.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
reddoggy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that Flowers
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by reddoggy »

Boics wrote:Ironic indeed.

So as of this morning it would appear to me that the problems that have plagued Ausbonsai for the past few days have gone.

Unfortunately it would appear that all posts, threads, PMs and messages from the 26th of November to December 7th have been lost - either temporarily or more than likely permanently....

A bit of re-assurance that this unfortunate event will not be repeated would be great as well.

Regards,

Boics.
In a perfect world maybe yes, but we are dealing with machines and machines go wrong from time to time.
I am pretty sure this is a website run by volunteers and not for profit, which I am very grateful for.
I do not see how they can guarantee it is not going to happen again, the guy that set it up probably has a proper job and very limited time,good on you Steven even if it goes wrong occasionally, it is way better than nothing, I am sure you would agree. :fc: :hooray: :wave:
Last edited by reddoggy on December 10th, 2012, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

reddoggy wrote:
Boics wrote:Ironic indeed.

Regards,

Boics.
In a perfect world maybe yes, but we are dealing with machines and machines go wrong from time to time.
I am pretty sure this is a website run by volunteers and not for profit, which I am very grateful for.
I do not see how they can guarantee it is not going to happen again, the guy that set it up probably has a proper job and very limited time,good on you Steven even if it goes wrong occasionally, it is way better than nothing, I am sure you would agree. :fc: :hooray: :wave:
Red Doggy.

I am well aware of the nature of machines and this is very much part of my "day job".
Speaking from an experienced point of view redundancy, backups and maintenance can typically protect from such an incident.

Really it's not a massive deal.
I respect and appreciate that which has been provided for us to use F.O.C. by the goodness of Steven and the mods.
I am in no way shape or form discounting this fact.

What I do wish as a member of this site is to be informed.
To be honest I had not (god knows why) seen Ken's post earlier in this thread.
This is the type of email that I wished to see.
The weekend was very quiet in here as I am sure people wondered what had happened and would this happen again, would data be lost?

Furthermore it would be great if there were some measures put in place that would protect from such an incidents re-occurance.
Would you be happy to lose your personal history, photo's and siblings journey's?
Some peoples data on this website (Not me yet!) may be considered in the same vein.

Anyway great to have the site back up and I'll be trying my best to keep up the contributions and support.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

lol thought I was going nuts when I went looking for my thread and couldn't find it.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper

Post by Guy »

With all that these blokes do a pretty good job .lighten up fellas--we're back on and luvvin it.

I was going to use my posts as an alibi----"no your Honour , I was home posting on ausbonsai when that 'servo' was hit. " :shifty: -here's the proof :tu: ---- :shock: ----- :crybye:
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

I note that I am not isolated in seeing the new Gremlins associated with pictures....
The fault is that wrong pics are showing up in threads and being accessed when clicked...

See photo / screen chop from the white bugs link attached...
When I click these pics I actually see the right photo... :lost: :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boics on December 12th, 2012, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
reddoggy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by reddoggy »

It is still not right,where are all the posts gone between the 8/12 and 26/11 leaves a big gap in the progression threads. :lost:
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Gee you've changed your tune now Red Dog..............?

Anyway as far as I know all that data was and is lost forever.
From memory all posts, messages and pictures from the 26th November to 7th December = Kaput.
kcpoole wrote:Hi all

looks like all ( most) has been recovered.

Ausbonsai is located on a hosted environment, and as such the hosting provider is responsible for all backups and data securi9ty and server uptime.

Seems that late Friday there was some server issue that Stuffed up the database, and the software that serves up the site. Some functionality was restored on Saturday and Steven advised the hosting provider that all was not still right. Another restore was needed. that was completed something today and seems that all is OK.
Like all database restores, some data may have been lost between the restore time and the original crash, and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Ken Steven and the Mod team :-)
reddoggy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by reddoggy »

Gee you've changed your tune now Red Dog..............?
No not really,just thought we should give them a bit more time to sought it out,Steven I presume pays big money to host all this data and in this regard I thought they might have been able to find it somewhere, given time but this seems to be not the case.Has Steven gone missing for the last week or so,as he should be able to kick butt. :?:
Last edited by reddoggy on December 14th, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi there
Nothing really to update re the crash. I have not spoken to Steven recently but as far as I know, what we lost will not be recovered :-(

The Ausbonsai server is Hosted with a commercial hosting providor, and they are responsible for Backups and server maintenance as part of the contract. i do not know what sore of SLA's they offer nor what sort of data recovery they are obligated for either.

I suspect that the latest valid backup was from the 26th and that was what was restored, but I am only guessing myself as Steven has not let me know any different.

If i find out anything different I will let you all know.

ps
there is still and issue i thing as the notifications of PM waiting is not working. I get the email but but the site always says 0 messages. Any else get that too?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Has Ausbonsai got a problem with the Website

Post by Bretts »

Tap talk will still not let me upload pics?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “The Menu”