The rock that mysterious appeared. Which way?

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

The rock that mysterious appeared. Which way?

Post by Bush bunny »

Balsalt rock 2.jpg
Balsalt rock 1.jpg
As you might remember I found this rock in my driveway, the day before yesterday. When I was considering drift wood as a anchor for a seedling. It's not big, but how it got there is a mystery.
It is basalt with green skin in parts. Olvine I think it's called and fine grained. It has a flat base with tiny bubbles in it, so it is volcanic. I don't know if the pics are clear enough. But I was thinking of just placing it on its flat bit, and putting the roots over the more rugged parts. Now I have read root over rock procedures in books and on the internet. Some advise to bury in sand, and some advise just bonsai mix, as the latter tends to nourish the plant quicker. I suppose I could mix the lot together? Any hints for a beginner.

Many thanks again Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: The rock that mysterious appeared. Which way?

Post by Bush bunny »

PS. I thought at first it was moss or lichin, but it's not. Won't come off. It's its skin.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice rock, but just laying it on the back is not dramatic enough for me. Needs to have a high point for interest.

I took the top shot and rotated 130Deg tot he right, then planted a small tree on it foir you :-)
Then I reduced it somewhat as a cscade
the tree could be anythig really, but the harsh mountain look of the rock a Juni or pine will go well :-)

Take the tree and bare root it.
Wrap the roots around and over the rock, then apply Muck aver the roots. ( Muck is optional but I use it myself)
Wrap in Plastic, Raffia, Aluminium foil as per your personal preference and make sure the roots extend past the lowest part of wrapping
Pot up by burying the entire rock and wrapping in a deepish pot so that the roots will extend out into the soi from underneath the wrap.
Leave for 2 years ( typically) or longer to attach to the rock. and let the top of the tree grow wild.

After then, expose the roots over 2 seasons to real your creation

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

You are so clever Ken. I thought of this, but the bottom is flat as a pancake. I like the upright one better than a cascade. It will be a young Japanese maple, I think it had five not like a trident.
Bought for four dollars anyway, shot up and I trimmed the long leader to the others two branchlets. Did you mention the soil mix. Better look again.

Cheers and thanks again.

Pat
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

Shibui has a great tutorial on his website, just Google "root on rock shibui" (I'd link the post, but I'm on my phone) good luck!
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Phoenix238 wrote:Shibui has a great tutorial on his website, just Google "root on rock shibui" (I'd link the post, but I'm on my phone) good luck!
He sure does, have it bookmarked, extremely helpful write up on how to create RoR's: https://shibuibonsai.com.au/growing-root ... ck-bonsai/

These links are pulled from the Wiki on RoR's (both different methods):
ROR Serissa: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=11601
ROR Trident: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=380
Last edited by Jason on August 18th, 2014, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Thanks for posting the link guys :D There should be plenty to interest Pat in that post.

Pat - Please note that I have found that Japanese maples do not do particularly well on rocks. They take ages for the roots and trunk to thicken up and your rock will dry out the potting mix quicker and add a bit of heat to the pot so tender plants suffer a bit more than usual. Tridents and figs are the best, pines and Chinese elms ok, have not done very well with Japanese maples and Chinese quince here.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

Always happy to pass on good stuff :tu: got myself a couple of nice rocks from a geologist I know, will be using your link next year (already root pruned everything this year)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Bush bunny wrote:You are so clever Ken. I thought of this, but the bottom is flat as a pancake.
Cheers and thanks again.

Pat
Thanks for the compliment :yes:
No worries, Just exercising the creative juices. I find it helps my own trees by helping see something in others so beneficial to us both :yes:

If the bottom is flat and boring, just make sure that is the back of the tree :-) :lol:

re the soil, just use your normal bonsai mix.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Thanks guys, I will look at shibuis website. Actually, I am not sure if this seedling is not a trident.
It could be, but its out of leaf. It shot up six inches a week at one stage, just the leader and I cut it back when it lost leaves. And of course I lost the label I have two that say Acer P, (great info) I also learned from one book to soak the rock in water, before attaching the roots with string or I'll use bandage if I can find it, its sticks and is like a tape. I don't know how porous basalt tufa is, I think it is porous.
If it doesn't look ok, I'll use garden twine. Then wrap the rock and roots in glad wrap leaving the others free. When I take pics I will display my azaleas one is very interesting. I saved it. I do appreciate this site and told my coordinator of my course. I have no local mentor you see. And as I explained before I approach re-potting with some trepidation as I have lost a few.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Bush bunny wrote:Thanks guys, I will look at shibuis website. Actually, I am not sure if this seedling is not a trident.
It could be, but its out of leaf. It shot up six inches a week at one stage, just the leader and I cut it back when it lost leaves. And of course I lost the label I have two that say Acer P, (great info) I also learned from one book to soak the rock in water, before attaching the roots with string or I'll use bandage if I can find it, its sticks and is like a tape. I don't know how porous basalt tufa is, I think it is porous.
If it doesn't look ok, I'll use garden twine. Then wrap the rock and roots in glad wrap leaving the others free. When I take pics I will display my azaleas one is very interesting. I saved it. I do appreciate this site and told my coordinator of my course. I have no local mentor you see. And as I explained before I approach re-potting with some trepidation as I have lost a few.
Go with aluminium foil, keeps it all tighter :)

It will confine the roots to the rock and.... will also mould onto the rock and follow every contour so all the roots will be held close to the rock surface. (a quote from Shibui's article)

There is also a thread where shibui described the positives and negatives of each wrapping medium: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18268&p=185289&hilit=foil#p185289

I sound like I'm marketing for Shibui or something :lol: but the man knows his stuff :tu2:
Last edited by Jason on August 19th, 2014, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Yes it sounds somewhat more my type of dexterity too. I have arthritic hands. I am about to soak the rock in rainwater first and brought the maple inside to warm up a bit. Thank you thank you and thank you all. Great site. :worship:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

I have some videos of my bonsai, for this course. But - I have a feeling it is a Japanese maple, five fingers. But I have a young Chinese Elm, and some ficus. Right now I am thinking Chinese Elm. But thanks everyone for the advice, gee I need it.

From what I have read in some books Chinese elms can be kept inside in a warm and light area, I have this in my house. This one is in full leaf bought from Sydney by Bunnings. So I have kept it in the aquarium cold weather tank. Because it is in full leaf when it should be deciduous in temperate climates like mine in Armidale.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

An update. I used the Chinese. It is in full leaf. So- I slowly removed it, and whoa, it already had some unusual loopy thick roots below the trunk, one was sort of a U upside down. This made it a bit difficult placing on the rock the way Ken described. But we managed it eventually with two at it. Then covered in two thicknesses of foil, mine was very thin. I kept the soil it was already in, it was a good loose texture. A large plastic pot. Sharp grit on the bottom, then I half filled it with the soil it came in, then a layer of bonsai mix where the finer roots were, then more of its original soil. I watered it and the soil settled too low, so I put more soil to cover foil and then some grit around the sides. I cut off a long shoot, and put that in beside it. Might take. I used some root growth hormone on the shoot.

I took a pic but the camera's battery ran out. I'll send it later. It is inside by a very good window with my dwarf root over rock H umbrella tree. Just 12 C today with the back door open.

Cheers and thanks,

Pat

Return to “The Menu”