Yuan Rock from the Yellow River China?

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Yuan Rock from the Yellow River China?

Post by Bush bunny »

Back of Yuan Rock..jpg
Front of Yuan rock..jpg
Back of Yuan Rock..jpg
Unfortunately the color has not come out too well of the front of the rock, if you look on the right you will see a pale gray, which it is, with white blotches, and little specks of mica.
The back is also interesting.

The two odd looking lumps are fossilized coral, with mica (silver) on them. I picked them up from the beach around Coff's harbor. I had they identified by a geologist at the UNE when I was a student there. I see larger specimens for sale in the Aquarium shop I use.

How would invite your thoughts, myself I would like to make it feature rock but I don't fancy sticking anything but moss on the back. And making a living landscapes with other greyish rocks and a fisherman. Sand, and pebbles to imitate a beach, and blue gravel to imitate water, some mongo grass etc. And maybe a small group of scale junipers. I have two cuttings and two grown well but not styled yet. And a tiny bridge going over the blue pebbles.

My problem is its weight it is amazingly heavy for it size, my plumber lifted and said, may a gold nugget in the middle, LOL. So - we will have to be careful what base (I thought of a large shallow ceramic pot with drainage holes) it is put on? And where it ends up as I won't be able to lift it.

It cost $29.95 from the Armidale aquarium shop, and is from a company called Pisces, that have a website with lots of lovely rocks there. Problem is delivery costs.

What do you think. Sorry about the colours, maybe I will take one in daylight tomorrow, but it is heavy.

Cheers Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Menu”