My first living landscape with my Yoan Rock.

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: My first living landscape with my Yoan Rock.

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Bush Bunny you are soo right! to I can tell you enjoyed making your landscape. You have many plants in there but its not cluttered. Its great. I have some slate but I need to buy the proper drill bit. I also have florida strangler fig roots rhat I collected in Bradenton Fla. I wrapped them around a upside down cedar stump. I've had it for a month and a half or so. Still no growth but they are alive. If it works it'll be very cool because the stump has nice twists and turns. I dont know much about stone but I like it. Did you collect it?
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

SpongeMann wrote:I have some slate but I need to buy the proper drill bit.
Hi SpongeMann,
I presume you are intending to drill the slate. Don't use the hammer action on the drill, it may crack the slate. I use the drill as a normal drill. You can also have some water flowing on the slate where you are drilling. Make sure the water is only a trickle and it can't splash onto the drill. Water and electricity don't mix. :shake: :shake:

Regards Ray
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Ray Thanks, I will definately try it this weekend . I recently collected a bunch of Moss I can put some to use now.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Well done bush bunny, looks good :tu2: . Must admit i haven't had the courage to try one yet. :palm:
regards
peterb
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi sponge. I don't think from some books I have read, you need to actually drill holes in slate. I am not an expert on stone or slate but I have seen some without holes, they have built up the soil using peat muck to give the inner soil mix a wall. But I can't see it doing any harm if you do. Just remember, those landscapes need extra care to maintain water retention. I lost some of my moss on this landscape, because it was exposed to sunlight. But where it got some shade, it has survived. Oh, and one thriving plant, is a weed. And the scale juniper is giving off flowers already. So she's happy I think. Best of luck. Look up group plantings on the net. One thing to remember is some stones not so much slate though, retain heat during the day. And you live in a warm/hot humid temperature zone with all the sunshine etc. (Well from the holiday ads and movies I have seen) :lol:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Sponge and Rudy et al, just to add to my last comment and my first landscape. I will remove that Yuan rock. It is being wasted where it is. The rock should look like a cliff, not just a rock by a stream. I will replace it with some others 'one day'. I removed the tray from the bird bath, because as it had drainage holes in it, I thought the excess water would build up even though I had placed wood under it. Now sits on a old pot bellied BBQ, adequate air circulation and no build up of water beneath it.

I would advise if you drill holes in the slate, elevate it slightly from what you will set it on, so the water drains away freely.

Moss. They like shade when establishing in a landscape, I learned from my mistake with mine. You know those hair pins ladies used to keep hair pieces or elaborate hair styles in place? Not clips to pull hair from your face. These are open ended. You can use them to keep the moss in place until it takes root and doesn't slip down from where you placed it. Some people use just ordinary thin wire. I just have some my Mum used. I recycle where I can.

Keep us informed about how you went. And whether you use a solitary tree scape with rocks or a group planting. :tu:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Pete, they are not hard to establish. Growing landscapes on rocks need some thought though!
I have a large lava cave rock with holes in it, (amazingly light for me to handle) and that will be challenging picking the right plants to grow on it. And its base. I am still thinking. I was mulling over an ancient Greek or Roman scene. (Being an ancient historian) If it is to kept outside, I will have to choose hardy trees/plants that are appropriate. I have a rosemary, a cactus type succulent, Mungo grass, and small ivy. And a replica of the 'Wrestlers' to put beside it on a large decorative concrete base. (The Wrestlers are interesting, I don't know what the third head is supposed to signify, Google and you will see).

Living landscapes, are a good way to use your smaller starter bonsai. And when they grow too big, just put them in their own pots, and replace some more smaller ones. The Chinese use a lot of figurines, small enough to keep the perspective and size/balance correct. I like this type of saikei or tray livings landscape, and also bonkei, that may use only artificial plants or no plants at all.(Harry Tomlinson, Bonsai pocket encyclopedia, page 119) More influenced by the Chinese schools, but adopted by the Japanese. But the Japanese seem to favor solitary trees or group plantings. Where as the Chinese penjing, sees inorganic like rocks to also have a soul. Bit Zen buddhism perhaps. It is creative and also one can see almost instant results rather than with a single tree, that can take years to train. Anyway must close serious re-potting has to be accomplished today. Just found one of my thirty year old Zygoes is living on six inches of rock hard soil. And I want to do some planting in my enchanted garden. Have fun. I will return when my back starts to ache.

Return to “The Menu”