Your Bonsai Age

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Your Bonsai Age

Post by Steven »

G'day everyone,

As you probably already know, in everyone's profile there is a field for our Bonsai Age. This is how many years we have been practising bonsai.
Bonsai age 1.jpg
This field does not update by itself so I would like to encourage everyone to take a moment and update or enter their bonsai age.

To do this you need to:
1. Click on your 'User Control Panel' in the top left hand corner of the board.
2. Click on the 'Profile' tab.
3. Update the 'Bonsai Age' field with the number of yours you have been into bonsai.

You may like to update the other fields while you are there.
Bonsai age.jpg
While we are at it, why not post a reply in this thread explaining how you first got interested in bonsai and what your first tree was.

Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: Your Bonsai Age

Post by Brian »

hmmm, time for a few people to exaggerate their experience I presume. I joined the bonsai society in 1985.
Last edited by Brian on March 8th, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Have just changed mine but based on the quality of my trees it was better left where it was.

My first bonsai was a miniature pomegranite my nana gave me which I slowly killed. I don't see it as a failure though as it got me on the road to bonsai so it served a great purpose.

To be honest nearly anything horticulture fascinates me.

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I can't change my bonsai age yet as I'm not near a computer - and don't know if I can on my phone, so will do it later.

I received my first two trees at the same time, Dec-2014, as Christmas presents upon my request for a Bonsai. Before that I had never grown anything in my life. They were both ficus, a Morton Bay and a Benji. Since receiving them I've been head over heals with Bonsai.

For the last 18 months ive continually been thinking about nothing but Bonsai trying to fit my love for it in with my other passion of fitness, and my love of my career. I now own around 15 trees consisting of natives, deciduous, evergreen, tropical and a single lonely black pine. Scattered around the place hiden in every corner are also cuttings galore :P

To date I have not killed a tree. Some will say I'm doing something right, others will say I haven't learnt because of it. What I do know is I'm loving my Bonsai journey, and it's a hobby for me that's here to stay a big part of which is thanks to this site.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 8th, 2016, 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Brian wrote:hmmm, time for a few people to exaggerate their experience I presume. I joined the bonsai society in 1985.
lol It gives an idea of how long a person has been practising for. Similar to saying you have played tennis for 30 years, might make you a long time tennis player and fan, but doesn't necessarily mean they are a professional or highly skilled at the sport. It is just a sidenote of information, and I can't see anything bad about someone stating how long they have been enjoying the hobby for. :tu:

I was introduced to the hobby from my mother, so I had bonsai around me from about 6 years, and watched her care and look after them. But I didn't develop a personal interest and pursue my own until my late teens, when I purchased bonsai starters as mallsai. I think my first purchase was a green island fig and a sargent juniper at the time, (shimpaku). It took me about 2 months to kill them both from over watering as I recall. But like squizzy says, that lead me down the mysterious and beautiful path that all brought us here. :worship:

On a side note, I have killed many more trees than I have alive and remaining, to date. :palm: Even if you have your entire collection wiped out :palm: , if you love bonsai, you just start again.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

I started bonsai around the same time as joining the site, so is easy to remember for me lol was this site that lead me to my club which is when I really started getting into it
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

ace2weather
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ace2weather »

Since you can't have an age below 1, guess I'll just have to stay on zero.......
CHRIS
web site with time-lapse IP Webcam
http://www.ace2weather.com
YouTube time-lapse channel
http://youtube.com/c/ace2weather
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I started in 1985 at the A G M of the BS of WA. Have been an active member since was made a life member in 1995.
It appears that my use by date is up. As I am only asked to help when they run out of others.
So I think changing my date is a waste, as it looks like I will be moving on.

Cheers pup :shake: :whistle:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tgward »

Ye gods --31 years -if they all had survived I reckon i"d have the five acres full by now--incompetence is a virtue :whistle: --I have never joined a club , been to a workshop,been involved in any group- once saw some bonsai at the Adelaide show (early nineties)-visited Canberra once(nice)-looked around a couple of Adelaide bonsai nurseries over the years--had contact with one other enthusiast once and he gave me a couple of neglected plants because he was getting out of it. So it's been just me and my radio(and more than a few beverages :beer: :beer: )-----heaven :yes: ------p.s. -this"extended" summer is starting to try my patience.

9easrly
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Have been "into" and owned tree's that have masqueraded as Bonsai for well over 20 years.
Having never really understood the concept of how to produce a Bonsai until more recent years I try to be honest with "my age" as when things clicked as opposed to when I first started / took an interest.

As a result I class myself as 4 years (updated from 3 today).

I was first intrigued by a Bonsai my mother was given by my Grandmother some 20 odd years ago (kept inside and killed).
I used the pot to plant more tree's - the pot I still have along with some of my original trees.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Boics wrote:Have been "into" and owned tree's that have masqueraded as Bonsai for well over 20 years.
Having never really understood the concept of how to produce a Bonsai until more recent years I try to be honest with "my age" as when things clicked as opposed to when I first started / took an interest
Kinda with Boics on this front... the only difference being I'm not sure things have even 'clicked' yet! In any event, I have stuff in pots that I'm taking in a direction I hope is bonsai-esque and I reckon they look better than this time last year so hope all is moving forward. Most of my stock is under a few years old and started as tube stock, so time is one thing it needs. I hope to learn a lot as they get older...
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Steven wrote: You may like to update the other fields while you are there.
Fix your location please. Perhaps change it from the very amusing "in my neighbour's garden, 2am, spade in hand" to something like "Gympie, QLD" so we can help you when when your Cherry goes Pear shaped :D

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Brian wrote:hmmm, time for a few people to exaggerate their experience I presume.
This.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tgward »

Brian wrote:hmmm, time for a few people to exaggerate their experience I presume. I joined the bonsai society in 1985.

yes ---and maybe you exaggerate :D
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings,
I think my interest was sparked by a visit to the Chelsea Flower Show in 1977 or 1978. I joined Bimer in 1982 when I watched a demo and "styled" a Lilly pilly that is still taking up bench space. It still needs refinement. The tennis analogy is interesting as I can claim playing tennis at Wimbledon, most people think I mean The All England Club, but I played on the ashfelt court at the back of the nurses home!
Yes I have a big collection of sticks drying out under the house.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce

Return to “The Menu”