Determining Age of a tree

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Jonesy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Determining Age of a tree

Post by Jonesy »

Please forgive a newbie question...

I'm trying to get my head around how to determine the age of a tree.

For instance, If I air-layer a 5-year-old Japanese Maple, does the new plant become five years old?
Or, if I take a cutting from a 5-year-old Juniper, is the new cutting 5 years old?

In other words, do new cuttings and air-layerings start from scratch?

Jonesy
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Determining Age of a tree

Post by Steven »

Jonesy wrote:do new cuttings and air-layerings start from scratch?
G'day Jonsey,

In my opinion - Yes. I don't pay much attention to the 'age' of a tree as it can be overinflated and sometimes deceptive (particularly on the large auction site). If I do refer to the age of one of mine, I count it from the time I started training.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

My view would be Yes they start from scratch. If it is something collected or trained from mature stock, I would state its actual age (or guesstimate) and its time in training. Much like Steven I dont put much store in ages, its the image the tree presents that matters most.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Steven wrote:
Jonesy wrote:do new cuttings and air-layerings start from scratch?
G'day Jonsey,

In my opinion - Yes. I don't pay much attention to the 'age' of a tree as it can be overinflated and sometimes deceptive (particularly on the large auction site). If I do refer to the age of one of mine, I count it from the time I started training.

Regards,
Steven
you would just add in the discription "taken from xxxxx age tree stock"
Young and hostile but not stupid.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Here's something to think about. If you grow a tree or collect a tree and specifically develop the top to be a tree in its own right and then layer it off, then it must be an aged tree. Only the root system or Nebari is new and needing developing but the actual top or new tree is approaching a finished design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on February 23rd, 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Jones,
The first question non bonsai people ask when they come into my garden is "which is the oldest tree ". A more relevant question is "which is your best tree ". Age is important but style is so much more so.
Craig
'
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

bodhidharma wrote:Here's something to think about. If you grow a tree or collect a tree and specifically develop the top to be a tree in its own right and then layer it off, then it must be an aged tree. Only the root system or Nebari is new and needing developing but the actual top or new tree is approaching a finished design.

Totally agree with this reasoning bohdi! :D
Regards Antonio:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I have a tree that was collected it was a self made ground layer of a large tree in a swamp. The original was to big to handle on my own so I decided with help to split it.

After the initial split I had to get one part in a rather deep pot!, but not deep enough so I cut through the root. After all work was done,I thought I would polish up the root not big enough for a stand, but I counted the growth rings it was collected in 2004 when I counted the rings it was 2006. There were 97 rings.
They are all nice trees all now 101 years old!!!!.

They are not what I would call my best but close to it. Melaleucas look old even when they are only a 3 month old cutting. Age is nice but beautiful tree's are what matter.

A Japanese saying. Never ask a lady her age just admire her beauty, that is what counts in tree's also.

Now back to how old is it what is it worth :?:

:lol: Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

i dont think determining age is a real factor unless you are pedantic and really have to know, as pup has just stated a 3 month old mel. cutting can look really old.

i dont think a tree should be looked at by years of growth but more so years in training. thats how i look at my trees, heck i have tress that are collected and dont even know the age of how long the have been growing for, all i know is how long they are in training for and to me thats what counts.

another tree that can look old from a cutting- clerodendrum. these have great bark and are fast growing trees that can have a mature look, including branch work, quite quickly.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “The Menu”