[Forum rules] The spirit and intent of AusBonsai

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: [Forum rules] The spirit and intent of AusBonsai

Post by ozzy »

bodhidharma wrote: Where is the damn slap emoticon :lost: Bugger,this will do :clap:

aaahh thanks I needed that, I feel better now :D
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by ozzy »

anttal63 wrote:
:shifty: Just hand over ya Olives that ll do it !!! :shifty:

Nooooo not me olives ... come over here and get your own :tounge:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

I don't know the ins and outs of why Brett was banned, or why Gareth was unhappy and to be honest, I'm not interested as to me it should be water under the bridge. Brett, I understand that there are latent feelings there, and Gareth, I respect your opinion about naming and shaming, although I don't agree with it :whistle: The content of this post is after all just my opinion, and there are probably many out there who disagree with it too. I'm OK with that.

I think the thing we have to understand is that this is a public forum where people from all walks of life and cultures come together to enjoy a common passion - bonsai. What that means is that there are bound to be the occasional flare-ups as we are very unlikely to get along all the time. I think the important thing here is that we understand that we are probably all adults, that we all understand human nature, and most importantly that it is quite human to make a mistake, even if one is a Mod :shock: . I'm not perfect, Steven is not perfect, none of you are perfect, and neither is anyone else that I can think of. People will post info on this site, and there will be debate about some of it, but we should all try to avoid taking offence. 9 times out of 10, if you put the arguing parties in a room with a cup of tea and a piece of cake, they'd probably come out best of mates, but there are limitations to the written word. We are not all George Bernard Shaw or Willy Waggledagger, so we can't always articulate our feelings and be fully understood. In the time I've been online here, as I've grown from a wet behind the ears beginner to an intermediate, with very few exceptions, I have thoroughly enjoyed the interactions I've had.

With that said, I'd encourage all of us to put any ill feelings behind us. Let the past live in the past, and if you are really struggling to get over something, discuss it in private with the relevant folk.

This site is about bonsai, nothing more, nothing less. Let us all be cognisant of each other's feelings, try to keep criticism constructive and try to play by the rules. They may not be perfect, but they are there to engender a certain spirit. We all know what that spirit is, so let's move forward and try to maintain it.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: Brett, take another crack at sharing your techniques, and if people have a problem with them, remember that they are the one with the problem, not you, and not everyone else! It would be a pity for you not too mate as I'm sure there are a lot of us (me included) that can benefit from your experiences! :cool:

PPS: You all know the saying: To err is human, chocolate is divine. :whistle:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Andrew I can't agree more, I am one of the first to let by gones be gone. That is not the problem. The problem is an ongoing lack of understanding why there is one set of rules for some and not others.
This leaves me in a position where the best answer I can get is simply to stay out of any disagreement.
My opinion is not swayed by popular vote so my opinions are not always popular ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Bretts wrote:My opinion is not swayed by popular vote so my opinions are not always popular ;)
LOL - I think we'd get along like a house on fire! :cool:
Last edited by Andrew Legg on August 31st, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by krittas »

I will probally get shot for this but....it doesnt matter who it is or was but we should just move on...by writting on here we are just bringing the forum down...
This forum is world wide (just look at those posting on here..ie Andrew..) so we are making ourselves look bad...thats not the spirit of this forum is it ???
Last edited by krittas on August 31st, 2012, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

krittas wrote:I will probally get shot for this but....it doesnt matter who it is or was but we should just move on...by writting on here we are just bringing the forum down...
This forum is world wide (just look at those posting on here..ie Andrew..) so we are making ourselves look bad...thats not the spirit of this forum is it ???
Hey Kritas,

Y'all look far worse on a rugby or cricket field than you do on Ausbonsai!!!! :whistle: Anyway, us South Africans also squabble like hyenas from time to time. :evil: It's human nature mate, but you are right, we should move on. . . . .
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Good evening,

I had never once before participated in threads like this. But now I feel the need to say something about it.

I am working for somebody else with the web thingies as well. And it does cost a fair amount of money to host and run successful web sites such as this.

None of my business but sometimes I still wonder where Stevens has the wherewithal to fund this site for ALL OF US.

Moderators donate their times and efforts. And it is a thankless job.

I treat this forum as a place of learning and sharing experiences. I see this forum as one of the many methods where we can contribute and advance Australian Bonsai a little bit further.

Everyday driving to work and from work, coping with the traffic, coping with slow drivers, coping with my bosses, coping with my lunches, my coffees etc are stressful enough. I am sure we all feel that. We do not need more stress elsewhere.

And I am sure the moderators are just like us -- they certainly do not need anymore pressure from us.

A BIG MANY THANKS to Stevens and THE MODERATORS from me.

Best regards to all members.
Last edited by daiviet_nguyen on September 1st, 2012, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[Forum rules] The spirit and intent of AusBonsai

Post by matlea »

....people will always have different points of views and methods of doing things... That's human nature ( otherwise we would all be robots!) people should offer opinions on this site, that's what makes it great and interesting. If others disagree with a persons opinion i think that's ok too... (as raised before there is always the PM mode)
At the end of the day we just need to be civil towards our fellow members... Simple!!
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper

Post by Guy »

perhaps we should all go outside and ask the little trees--and while we're waiting for an answer get some work done :)
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

:lol: :lol: I like that Guy. I think sometimes we forget what the forum is about - BONSAI :idea:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

That is exactly my point guys. To do bonsai outside and talk about it here stress free.

Look at the start of this recent discussion there is a member that states he was attacked. I look back and I see that it came from some misunderstanding. Then a previous mod (that you would think lead by example) bites back harder and a recent new member joins as well.
It is all well and good to say hey just get over it and lets be stress free. But you are missing the point.

As we heard at the tops weekend from Marc. Politics in Bonsai can destroy the community spirit that is so much a part of it. On one side I have been inspired by the community spirit of Bonsai in Australia set by my predecessors and then disgusted in the bullying politics that rears it's head on the Australian Forums. I really thought Aussies where more easy going than that. :lost:
Last edited by Bretts on September 1st, 2012, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Ill take this time to thank Steven, the mod squad and everyone else who ive harrassed via pm regarding tips and tricks.

Hope we can get all the politics squashed before the spring equinox rocks around, get back to our trees and produce alot of pic heavy threads.

:aussie: :aussie: :aussie: :aussie: :aussie:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I call it multi tasking :whistle:
002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

VelvetSicklid wrote:Ill take this time to thank Steven, the mod squad and everyone else who ive harrassed via pm regarding tips and tricks.

:aussie: :aussie: :aussie: :aussie: :aussie:
Here here........In fact, a BIG first day of spring :hooray: for the mods and contributors on Ausbonsai :aussie: :hooray: :cool: :clap:
Last edited by Damian Bee on September 1st, 2012, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Menu”