PMs' - PRIVATE OR PERSONAL MESSAGES

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

PMs' - PRIVATE OR PERSONAL MESSAGES

Post by Jon Chown »

There may come a time when you wish to communicate with another Member of this site but do not wish your comments to be public.

There is a way (not unlike an email) which is totally private to yourself and the recipient/recipients (That means no one else can read it).

If you look just under the Ausbonsai.com banner you will see a gray bar with the following headings (see below)
Board index ‹ The Bonsai Cafe ‹ The Menu
User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts ..................................... FAQ Members Logout [ User Name ]
If you look right next to 'User Control Panel you will see (0 new messages) - If this happens to read (1 new message) it means that someone is trying to talk to you. If you click on the message it will open a new window and show you your message to which you can either reply or delete.

I know that there are many on this site who do not know about this function because until you open your message it remains in the senders 'outbox' and that can be frustrating to the sender. You can also tick a box in your 'User Control Panel' that will send you an email to your personal email account to advise that you have mail at Ausbonsai.com

Now if you wish to send a message to another Member you can do it several ways.
At the bottom of each post you will see a little box with 'pm' in it. If you click on this box it will take you to the message board where you can type your message and send.
You can also go to the Message Center by clicking on the User Control Panel and 'Messages' and then in the Send to.. do a look up for the member you wish to send the message and hit enter.
You can also click on Members in the top RH of the Bar and look up the Member you want and in their profile there is a heading 'send private message', click on this and you are back at the Message Center and you know what to do from there.

I hope that this helps those who are less familiar with Forums and their functions.
Last edited by Jon Chown on February 4th, 2009, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: PMs' - PRIVATE OR PERSONAL MESSAGES

Post by Asus101 »

cheers....
Last edited by Asus101 on February 4th, 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Thanks Jon :P
Loretta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Loretta »

Hi Jon

At the risk of sounding stupid :? I'm new to this forum and am a first time user. Question is...How do you check that your "sent PM " was successful...is there a "sent " box you can check with like with email. I sent a PM yesterday...haven't had a reply through that same forum...but there was a continuing message on the public forum which read as though the situation was still not resolved. I'm just a bit confused and don't remember seeing a message saying "your PM has been successful" when I initially sent it..
The instructions on this site only advises how to send a message...nothing about follow up if there is no reply or whatever.
Maybe you could direct me if there other instructions I should be reading and have missed.
Thanks Loretta
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi Loretta,

unfortunately Jon is on the forum anymore..

there is a sent box and also an outbox. the outbox shows which messages are still waiting to be read, and the sent shows which messsages have been opened and read.

these two "boxes" are just under the inbox tab in the PM user control panel.

hope that helps :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Loretta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Loretta »

Thank you Jamie..maybe I should take a closer look before asking questions.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

Loretta wrote:Thank you Jamie..maybe I should take a closer look before asking questions.

no probs loretta, pleasure to help ;)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Post by Craig »

:gday: AusBonsai, Sometimes Personal messages go unanswered for a few days, so for those of you that don't know, you can have a pop up window appear when a personal message is waiting/arrives,,,

In your "user control panel" , click "Board preferences", then in Edit global settings click the YES button for a pop up window on new private message, just submit and thats it,,

:aussie:
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote::gday: AusBonsai, Sometimes Personal messages go unanswered for a few days, so for those of you that don't know, you can have a pop up window appear when a personal message is waiting/arrives,,,

In your "user control panel" , click "Board preferences", then in Edit global settings click the YES button for a pop up window on new private message, just submit and thats it,,

:aussie:
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Something I have occasionally had issue with is Pm's being in my inbox but not appearing on up top of the main page. I noticed this a few months ago & now check my inbox out of habit when i log on to the forum.

Given the number of msgs I have had over the last few days it has been amplified, last night it said i had 1 msg, go to my inbox to find 3 waiting (still only says one up top). This morning i log in to find 3 waiting but go to inbox there are 6, 3 delivered in between various ones from last night..

I dont know what the issue might be (hopeless with technobabble) but suggest anyone who is sending msgs or even if not, check your inbox regularly just in case. i once found one that had been waiting for 4wks, never knew i had one there till i went to send one to someone else.

Matt

PS the discrepencies are not time based (well werent till this mornings fun of some read & some unread interspersed :palm:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “The Menu”