sequoia gigantus germination, minor success

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
sapling_alex
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Serrulatum
Bonsai Age: 0

sequoia gigantus germination, minor success

Post by sapling_alex »

Thought I'd post my first experience with growing these from seed.

I received 80 seeds from a seller and because I was impatient, set half aside to stratify whole I planted the others. I put 2 seeds in each seed raising pod and kept them on a windowsill for a few weeks. No joy. Thinking I'd robbed them, I took the pallet outside and put it at the bottom of my makeshift greenhouse occasionally soaking the soil.

It is mid summer here and temperatures reached 40c plus in there. One day I noticed movement! Two little red stalks pushing seeds out of the ground. Having nothing left to lose I kept up my random watering and rough treatment until they dropped the seed casings and shows for wonderful needles.

Now I was worried so took care repotting, feeding and watering. Naturally, being the gumby I am, after a hot day last to one falling over I looked at it and snapped the tiny trunk. One left. He is currently going strong. Posing out his fourth set of needles now.

Below are some photos, you can read more about it and my other gardening adventures in my blog if you feel that way inclined. Http://www.findingmyroots.blogspot.com.au

Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: sequoia gigantus germination, minor success

Post by Josh »

Nice going. So in a couple of thousand years you'll have a tree that looks something like this
IMG_0011.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Might take a bit to work on though
IMG_0013.JPG
This might help with ramifacation
IMG_0016.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, well done on getting them to grow. Hope the last one pulls through.

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Yep, here is a life long project and then some. Have kids :tu2: :palm:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Something to aim for, probably the most recognised Sequoiadendron giganteum bonsai, by Dan Barton:

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Luie
Favorite Species: Sequoia
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Luie »

Hey, where did you get your seeds from? I've planted a lot of my own and no success. Could be the climate but seeing that you got germination at 40C, that shouldn't matter.
arpitkakkar1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by arpitkakkar1 »

Now a days farming is a smart work, farmers are use advance technology to increase production of grains like germination, drip irrigation, and other cultivation machines are used by them. Its a nice but all are depend on germination if all seeds are convert in plant than production will be increase. Germination chamber is a good option to grow more plants in a farm.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”