Air Layering a Mel...

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Air Layering a Mel...

Post by Ryceman3 »

I was away with the family for an extended Christmas break and we stayed on a property down on the Bellarine Peninsula (Vic) that had some pretty interesting trees in and around it. One in particular was in a neighbours property (on the fence line) that looked like some kind of melaleuca. So I had a chat with him, and the tree was due for a big chop as it was starting to lean on the fence ... so I proposed to have a go at an air layer before it gets cut back (as you do). With no real tools or supplies on hand, and given I had never actually performed an air layer, I got anything I could find in his shed and the garage where I was staying and made a quick 3 hour trip home for a few basics. I also got some great PM advice from Ray M : thanks heaps! :) .
I thought I might put up some pics of how I went about it and see what people think my chances of success are ... I did three layers in total.
I think from my research this tree might be a Mel Huegelii, but if anybody can confirm or clarify a species ID that would also be appreciated!
I've got the property owner watching it for me and I plan to go down in a couple of weeks or so to check it out. We'll see how it looks in a few months! :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Air Layering a Mel...

Post by Ray M »

HI Ryceman3,
Mate, I can see why you wanted to try and get some trees off this one. Those flowers are beautiful. Looks like you did a good job on the layers. Looking forward to see how these go for you. :clap: :clap: :aussie: :aussie:

Regards Ray
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

I think you're spot on with your guess of Mel Huegelii :)

Have one of these in my backyard :aussie: Lovely flowers, and the leaves are very strange, have always wondered how they could be styled into a bonsai so look forward to seeing where you take it :cool:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ray M wrote:HI Ryceman3,
Mate, I can see why you wanted to try and get some trees off this one. Those flowers are beautiful. Looks like you did a good job on the layers. Looking forward to see how these go for you. :clap: :clap: :aussie: :aussie:

Regards Ray
Cheers Ray,

Yeah, the flowers are great and not too big so I think will fit in well in terms of proportion from a bonsai perspective. Thanks for the encouragement re: layering technique... if all works out for the best I might owe you a beer, you're help was invaluable! Might have one myself!
:beer: :beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Jason wrote:I think you're spot on with your guess of Mel Huegelii :)

Have one of these in my backyard :aussie: Lovely flowers, and the leaves are very strange, have always wondered how they could be styled into a bonsai so look forward to seeing where you take it :cool:
Thanks Jason,
I think this species of Mel is from your neck of the woods so would make sense you've got one in your backyard! The foliage is a little weird, almost scale-like and growing close to the branches... Nice and compact leaf size though so that's a plus. If these layers take I too will be interested in how I go styling a bonsai out of it, I have some ideas though. From what I've read about them they take well as cuttings so maybe you could have a go too and we can find out together!
:tu:
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Ryceman3 wrote:
Jason wrote:I think you're spot on with your guess of Mel Huegelii :)

Thanks Jason,
I think this species of Mel is from your neck of the woods so would make sense you've got one in your backyard! The foliage is a little weird, almost scale-like and growing close to the branches... Nice and compact leaf size though so that's a plus. If these layers take I too will be interested in how I go styling a bonsai out of it, I have some ideas though. From what I've read about them they take well as cuttings so maybe you could have a go too and we can find out together!
:tu:
They also backbud quite well on old wood, which is always a positive for bonsai use :) we chopped ours back quite hard, and its shooting our from every which way :yes:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Ryceman3,
With the comments that Jason has made concerning this species gives a lot of hope that the layers should work okay. I will follow this thread with interest. :reading: :aussie:

Regards Ray
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks Jason, I noticed the back budding too on some previous parts of the tree that had been chopped back, that helped me make up my mind it was worth a shot!

Ray, I'll be sure to update the thread after I go back down and check how things are going... Hopefully in a few weeks!
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

One big one I layered. Had to use the angle grinder to cut the bark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Wow! Angle grinder!!?! I thought using the Stanley knife was a little agricultural but you my friend are HARDCORE! Hope we both find ourselves with a few new trees in a couple of months regardless of technique! Good luck with yours. :tu2:
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

The bark was just too hard, or maybe I dont have enough power, so I just used the angle grinder., and it worked very well.
I used to get a lots of die back of branches before I layered it. Now I put all my mells in a tray of water and they are growing like crazy.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

UPDATE :
Been down to check out the layers, and as shown in the attached pics not a moment too soon! Looks like all three had dried out a bit - not sure if that is due to summer weather or my lack of skill when it comes to layering, but really glad I prepared and took down the seasol and a syringe to help rehydrate them! There was still a tiny amount of condensation in all the bags before I added some more (about 100ml per layer) ... I chose to open up the bag at the top and then use the syringe through the opening rather than make a hole in the plastic ... not sure that is wise practice!! I'm a little worried the drying out is going to render these a failure ... no sign of roots yet but I guess it is only a few weeks, gotta keep positive!!?! :fc:
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Ryceman3,
Ryceman3 wrote:UPDATE :
Been down to check out the layers, and as shown in the attached pics not a moment too soon! Looks like all three had dried out a bit - not sure if that is due to summer weather or my lack of skill when it comes to layering, This is quite normal but really glad I prepared and took down the seasol and a syringe to help rehydrate them! There was still a tiny amount of condensation in all the bags before I added some more (about 100ml per layer) Mate, be careful not to over wet them. I'm actually working on a new document concerning this subject. I've been researching this for 18 months or so. I'm still doing some more experiments. When I'm pleased with the data I will put it on the forum. ... I chose to open up the bag at the top and then use the syringe through the opening rather than make a hole in the plastic ... not sure that is wise practice!! I'm a little worried the drying out is going to render these a failure ... no sign of roots yet but I guess it is only a few weeks, gotta keep positive!!?! :fc: It looks like you did the layers quite well. Patience is the name of the game. It could be several months before you have enough roots to remove the layer.
Regards Ray
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ray M wrote:Hi Ryceman3,
Ryceman3 wrote:UPDATE :
Been down to check out the layers, and as shown in the attached pics not a moment too soon! Looks like all three had dried out a bit - not sure if that is due to summer weather or my lack of skill when it comes to layering, This is quite normal but really glad I prepared and took down the seasol and a syringe to help rehydrate them! There was still a tiny amount of condensation in all the bags before I added some more (about 100ml per layer) Mate, be careful not to over wet them. I'm actually working on a new document concerning this subject. I've been researching this for 18 months or so. I'm still doing some more experiments. When I'm pleased with the data I will put it on the forum. ... I chose to open up the bag at the top and then use the syringe through the opening rather than make a hole in the plastic ... not sure that is wise practice!! I'm a little worried the drying out is going to render these a failure ... no sign of roots yet but I guess it is only a few weeks, gotta keep positive!!?! :fc: It looks like you did the layers quite well. Patience is the name of the game. It could be several months before you have enough roots to remove the layer.
Regards Ray

Cheers Ray, I was actually thinking I might be going a bit overboard with the Seasol, but I didn't completely soak the sphagnum - I left the bottom part dry and let it soak through from what I put in ... I was worried I didn't know when Id get back down here and I don't think I can count on the owner to look for me! Look forward to reading up on your research results - I'm sure it'll be very useful stuff to know. Thanks for the encouragement - it's all about the patience I know!

Cheers mate :yes:
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

Thanks Ryceman3, great post, gives me much hope for my latest project
Watty

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”