TREE HEIGHT

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: TREE HEIGHT

Post by Rory »

Kevin wrote:While i'm here - my :2c: worth since the subject matter has strayed from bonsai height. Personally, certain bonsai styles repulse me due to how they have been worked and presented. When i look at these specific (highly popular) bonsai styles / specimens all i can see is the Dr SEUSS characters of old. This is just one character - Google Dr Seuss, look at his characters. To me, a specific bonsai style, especially when presented as Shonin - all i can see are those ugly Dr Seuss cartoon characters.
fox1- Dr Seuss.jpg
Sorry, but, while on the subject - it is my 2 bobs worth.

Kevin
I've never heard of it put quite like that. I mean no offence to the owner of trees that look like Dr Suess, but that is quite accurate.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Rory wrote:
Kevin wrote:While i'm here - my :2c: worth since the subject matter has strayed from bonsai height. Personally, certain bonsai styles repulse me due to how they have been worked and presented. When i look at these specific (highly popular) bonsai styles / specimens all i can see is the Dr SEUSS characters of old. This is just one character - Google Dr Seuss, look at his characters. To me, a specific bonsai style, especially when presented as Shonin - all i can see are those ugly Dr Seuss cartoon characters.
fox1- Dr Seuss.jpg
Sorry, but, while on the subject - it is my 2 bobs worth.

Kevin
I've never heard of it put quite like that. I mean no offence to the owner of trees that look like Dr Suess, but that is quite accurate.
I've never heard it put quite like that either.... never in my life of bonsai has another enthusiast's work "repulsed" me. :lost:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

wrcmad wrote:I've never heard it put quite like that either.... never in my life of bonsai has another enthusiast's work "repulsed" me. :lost:
I don't think he quite meant it in the terms of the way that may be perceived. I guess you have to take it with the same grain of salt as those on here that get 'repulsed' by sticks in pots, which may be met with harsh words. It is still an opinion that he simply doesn't like trees that look like that. I wouldn't think it is more so a dislike of the efforts made, but a dislike of the resultant form that it has taken.

Though I have to admit I would say that I do get 'repulsed' looking at sticks in pots that are sold on ebay with wishy-washy curves and sold as 'bonsai' to unsuspecting enthusiasts.

I only meant the comparison to Dr Suess' curving bodies and waving limbs was a funny portrayal.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well guys I think this topic has strayed far enough away to say it has had it's day. Please PM me if you digress and think the thread has not gone 180 degrees from it's origins.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”