RADIATA PINE WIRING PROGRESSION

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
miyagiman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: prunus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: bendigo bonsai club inc.

RADIATA PINE WIRING PROGRESSION

Post by miyagiman »

This is a radiata pine that I purchased from a nursery somewhere about 12 years ago as a stock plant, it may have even been at one of the nurseries in Macedon, but I can't be sure. It had some reverse taper, which I am still working on growing out. But the twist in the trunk halfway up attracted my attention, so thought it was worth a go.
Over the years it has ramified from primary single branches to tertiary as you see it now, it's not a perfect tree I know, but I have learnt a lot about radiata's, and have had some great fun with it along the way.
I cleaned it out last week and started wiring, and then thought I should take some pictures of its progression. I should take more pictures of my trees, as it is good to look back at how they used to be, and how different they are now.
The tree finished up pretty nice I thought, even though it still has some faults, some I can work at, others I will have to put up with. It is 410 mm in height from top of pot.
The photos will give a bit of an idea of my work, but I had already wired the first branch prior to thinking about photos.
Miyagiman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: RADIATA PINE WIRING PROGRESSION

Post by Boics »

Looks fantastic from the top.
"Your work" is great!

How do you plan on addressing the reverse taper?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I've seen some pretty crap wiring jobs on some trees ... and I have to be honest... This is NOT one of them! You should be happy with the result, outstanding technique - I am in awe. :shock: :tu: :worship:
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Miyagiman,

I'm with Boics and Ryceman, great work over the years obviously on a challenging specimen.

I too am interested in your techniques in overcoming 'reverse taper'. You mentioned growing it out? Can you please elaborate on that principle. Also, as a novice bonsai enthusiast - can reverse taper be corrected with the scalpel, that is, cutting it out?

Thanks for showing us and interested in your techniques to correct the reverse taper.

Kevin
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Wow, that's impressive!

Newbie question, would it be possible to use the techniques like "damage to the thinner part to make it thicker?"
miyagiman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by miyagiman »

Firstly, thank you all for the positive comments, they give me a boost knowing that this tree appears to be heading in the right direction.
BUT; the reverse taper is now my focus, and is a topic that needs sharing with you.
When I purchased this tree, the reverse taper was very extreme, even to the point that in its first few years, I screwed a small piece of "driftwood" to the "front" of the lower trunk to "disguise" it. As time went on, and the tree ramified, the reverse taper was slowly growing out of it, and the lower trunk has thickened. This is the continuing method I will use, it appears to have become a time thing.
Over the following development of the tree, I read lots and talked to lots of people about the taper problem, and they all talked about the remedies they have heard of, but mostly never tried. The ones who did try the hammering and the slicing, ALL had negative feedback. It either didn't work, or, damaged the tree visually in the long run. It appears you need to be an expert in this field to be successful, and sadly, most of us are not that yet, including myself.
I don't regret buying this tree, I love it. But if reverse taper is a point of concern when looking at a tree to buy, then don't buy it, because the road ahead will be very long.
However, I am still continuing to feed and grow the tree and eventually, one day the lower trunk will get a bit thicker and the old bark is developing nicely enough over time to give me a result I can cope with.
So, patience and time. That is the old way and apparently the best way.
Miyagiman.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Miyagiman.

Excellent work on this tree. After you've answered all the questions about correcting the reverse taper, I have a couple about how you got such beautiful small, even needles across the tree (maybe this should be a new topic?).

I have a couple of collected trees that I'm building the framework on, but the constant flushes of growth has me a little puzzled. Do you pluck/pinch/prune the same way you would a Japanese black pine (i.e. a pine with 2 flushes of growth a season)? Your tree has me really excited about the possibilities of radiatas!

Matt.
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

I'm with Matt, I would really appreciate if you'd share your technique for needle length reduction and refinement.

Perhaps you could ask the Taiga the Japanese expert visiting Melbourne soon regarding the reverse taper?

Nice tree regardless.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Miyagiman

Yes a pretty tree with a glaring fault,as you have stated and shown,by the tone of your post you are still annoyed and fair enough,its all there but "except" and we all have those trees so you are not alone.
What I have here is some ideas for you,which I believe will take your eyes off the fault as such, stop the fault from worsening and illusion of hiding it for now and fixing your eyes on other focal points because of interest as they say.

Firstly starting with the foliage/branches that high for thickness of trunk straight through exacerbated the problem I m afraid,especially having those 3 branches that close, even at those correct areas of bend and nice movement,frankly you have too much power/growth there,muscling up the that area causing the problem in 12 years,and I m afraid too say thats not going to repair a real lot in the next 12 years leaving those 3 branches there,in fact it will get worse in my opinion.

In saying all that,not all is lost,in fact we can stop it and in time reverse it in a quicker time frame from our actions and alot of the time a better dynamic tree.

So here we have some ideas for you...again thankyou for your time and good luck with your tree its always your call..hope you don t mind me thinking out aloud and... you do have a lovely Radiata tree very much persisting with

Cheers Anthony

(can a Mod please turn the pics around,I tried....thanks)
phpyQvYRFPM.jpg
phpQ4Tyw0PM.jpg
Removed problem..illusion of breaking up taper...and another focal point/interest
phpeEK19FPM.jpg
Roots exposed give nice fat/illusion and head and dropped branch a another focal point/interest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on June 23rd, 2016, 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
miyagiman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by miyagiman »

Hi Matt and MacGyver, thank you, and yes, I will address the methods I have used to work the foliage.
However, the methods I use will create more questions and cries of "wrong" and horror. But I will go down the path of explaining shortly what works for me. I have a larger 50 odd year old radiata that I will post a photo of tomorrow, with which I use the same methods, and it seems to be heading in the right direction.
I will post the photos and methods together, tomorrow.
Hi Anthony, thank you for your comments and drawings, man, you have been busy. Your thoughts are also things that I have considered in the past, but have always procrastinated due to wanting to stick with the chosen path, and wanting to see it through, as such. But, now that you have explained it and backed it up with drawings, I will give some serious thought to these possible remedies. I will keep you all posted on any decisions made.
Miyagiman.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Miyagiman

I look forward to hearing about your methods. Don't worry if they are unconventional, you've obviously found something that works well on your trees in your backyard. It's up to others whether they to follow your experiences or not.

Once again, we're really lucky to have so many people who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge.

Matt.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Reece »

Reverse taper or not it's awesome to see a radiata with fine branching and small needles like this. I was told by someone that a well chosen, well placed rock can sometimes disguise reverse taper while you try and grow it out over a long time. Just another option.....

Great work mate.

Subscribed....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Last edited by Reece on June 25th, 2016, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Nice tree! Good luck
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Looks awesome Dave !!! :cool:
Regards Antonio:
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Since reading this tree, I think I saw this tree in the flesh at a BSV night? If so, let me say that the tree looks amazing in the flesh and I don't think the photo gives it justice. Any issues detailed in the post were only noticeable because I was aware of it beforehand. In an exhibition I don't think you'd notice.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”