Rescued from the gutter

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Rescued from the gutter

Post by Raging Bull »

I often have a work break near a large old poinciana and have been collecting and attempting to germinate its seeds without success. Then...serendipity :D !! After some decent rain I was fossiking around under the tree again and found that Mother Nature had done it for me. In the gutter, which had an accumulation of leaf litter and dirt, a number seeds had germinated. Straight after work I raced home and equipped myself with gear to scoop these seedlings up and brought them home. I have since potted them and will now be able to play with them. I'm thinking of inserting bent wires into the ground and carefully tying the seedlings to the wires with raffia to grow them into the shapes I want. I have over a dozen and they look very healthy.
I have also collected a lot of Poinciana seeds, and if any-one would like to have some please contact me. They are a real challenge to try to germinate at home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Rescued from the gutter

Post by Watto »

Good luck with them. I think they will need some time in the pot before you can start to play with them.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Yes you're right of course. :tu2: I'm just eager & excited to have so many "babies" to try things on. I do want to start to gently bend them into shapes as early as possible tho'. :fc:
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Straight after work I raced home and equipped myself with gear
You haven't got the fever bad yet - if you don't carry collecting gear and seasol with you at all times you must be a noob :lol: Good luck with them !
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Ha Ha Bougy!! Yes I'm definitely a Noob, but I also try to exercise a bit of self-control. :whistle: But I think I'm slipping, I look for suitable small plants with a good trunk where-ever I go and sus out where houses are going for demolition so I can get in before the bulldozers :palm:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”