Albury Wodonga club olive dig

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Albury Wodonga club olive dig

Post by shibui »

This morning 6 members headed for the hills to bring a few more ferals into captivity.
Bristling with digging implements we bounced along a rough farm track through washed out gullies and over stony ridges to the chosen site then left the vehicles and followed our guide another 600m on foot. Karen had been clever enough to bring a labourer as well as digging tools so she was less burdened than the rest of us.
olive dig March 2017 04.JPG
We had the choice of lots of olives, all sizes and shapes but the hillside is a little steeper than when I was there last :cry: It is most frustrating to see the shovel slide away down the hill as soon as you let it go. Having to fetch them back repeatedly got a little tiring too :shake: I'm not sure that photo above does justice to the slope :shake:

The soil is pretty hard at this time of year and this particular hillside seems to be made up mostly of rocks so the crowbars turned out to be the weapons of choice this time.
It was interesting that all of us targeted smaller trees this time, possibly due to a lack of youthful enthusiasm in this year's team. Even Alpine was collecting tiny trees (said he couldn't even lift the chainsaw due to gammy shoulder this morning)

I arrived home around 1pm and dumped all my trees into tubs of water while I did a final trim before potting them up
olive dig March 2017 11.JPG
Here are a couple of before and after shots so you can see how I treat these collected olives after initial collection.
olive dig March 2017 12.JPG
olive dig March 2017 13.JPG
olive dig March 2017 14.JPG
olive dig March 2017 15.JPG
This is a tiny, skinny one but I thought the trunk had enough character to try making a shohin sized tree.
olive dig March 2017 17.JPG
Note the huge long root but there is a convenient ring of roots around the trunk in one spot
olive dig March 2017 18.JPG
Then reduce the to a little more before potting up in a 15cm plastic pot.
olive dig March 2017 19.JPG
This is one of the few that had more than a little movement in the trunks
olive dig March 2017 24.JPG
The tall, straight trunk is not bonsai in my opinion so it is now shortened - possible jin?
olive dig March 2017 25.JPG
olive dig March 2017 26.JPG
olive dig March 2017 27.JPG
Final tally: 5x 30cm pots, 10x 20cm pots and one in a 15cm. Not all of them will be spectacular keepers. Some will end up with other club members if and when they settle into life in pots.
olive dig March 2017 28.JPG
:lost: :lost: :lost: :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Albury Wodonga club olive dig

Post by Sammy D »

Collection trips are great fun. Well done on the dig
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Great score Shibui, you've earn a beer today. I can help you with space for the 15cm pot ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Great to see clubs out on the hunt for free trees and in the process helping the environment.
Some interesting trees amongst those.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

Yes, it was certainly mountain goat country, and being in denial about my age I headed straight up the contour. Why do we always think the better trees are the furthest away??

Here are a the few I collected. No before and afters from me and all of mine are quite small but with bulbous trunks :)

I'm was a little less brutal than Neil......did I leave too much on? They can always be cut back again.

If nothing else I got fresh air, worked muscles that haven't worked for a while and spent time with my fellow club members!

Theo
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Guys , thanks for a good day out , definitely the easiest digging I have done in years , 10 hits with the mattock , 10 with the podgy bar and the rest were simply pulled out . Only managed to take a few pics
P1120631.JPG
P1120632.JPG
P1120633.JPG
, this one I will wire it then trim back
P1120624.JPG
P1120626.JPG
P1120627.JPG
A nice little sumo
P1120628.JPG
P1120629.JPG
P1120630.JPG
a little raft twin trunk
P1120638.JPG
P1120639.JPG
P1120640.JPG
. Tomorrow I will finish the potting them up , around 2 dozen little fella's to tuck into the benches , some will end up at the A.W meeting for those that missed the dig .

Cheers . Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Well done to everyone ,some great material. Hope to see them again in a few years. Cheers John.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

These are the smallest material collected all around shohin size or smaller
P1120644.JPG
P1120645.JPG
P1120646.JPG
P1120647.JPG
P1120648.JPG
P1120649.JPG
P1120650.JPG
P1120651.JPG
I used any container I could lay my hands on after the hard yakka , a tray of these will go to club members who couldn't make the trip , It will give them a bit of inspiration to tag along next time .

Cheers . Alpine

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”