Ausbonsai not very active?

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Ausbonsai not very active?

Post by Max »

:bump:
:lol: 8-)
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello All,

I believe Ken's above / below statement is relevant to the original concerns raised by the operator (Treeman) regarding 'Activity' and 'Viewing Images'.

It certainly made me think about how many existing members cannot view other member's threads / posts / attachments.
kcpoole wrote: i am bandwidth restricted and cannot view images over 400k or so. Any more take far too long and i cancel and ignore that thread from then on.
Same applies to.embedded images bigger than 800x600
Considering approximately 50% (a quick analysis) of images attached to threads would exceed 400KB.

Forgetting about non AusBonsai members for now, I began to wonder how many other AusBonsai members have similar issues with Broadband 'Capping / Throttling' and are unable to view images over 400KB :?:

Obviously contributing to a decline in overall 'Activity' within AusBonsai.

In the future i will certainly ensure before posting any images they are below 400KB.

Kevin
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by benbonsai »

I wasn't going to mention it but now you have brought it up again I will.
I find it hard to view any embedded images, they just never seem to load. Not sure why but they don't and I generally don't bother looking at the thread.
Images that are attached I have no problem no matter what size.
Slow and steady wins the race
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I would say that quite a large majority of aussies are still on pathetic speeds, and /or low download limits, and that it's important to try and keep file sizes smaller for that reason. Then there are those who view the forum on mobile devices, who might have to take into account their download limits. There are still a lot who don't go for unlimited downloads, and so have to restrict their viewing of large images, if in fact they're able to load them at all!

Agreed that I won't bother looking if the files are too large, and yes, attaching them rather than embedding them makes it easier to choose whether to look more closely.

Return to “The Menu”