alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: New carving bits

Post by alpineart »

While the verdicts in on these I haven't actually done any serious carving , however I did test these using a 500watt variable speed die grinder and 140watt multi tool .

Unlike previous carvers I have used , the extra teeth on these work far superior in both directions through knots , with the grain and against it , all where used on dried juniper trunks . More control and no chatter even at low speeds which gave me more control over the tool and less risk of any mistakes or possible injuries . I like the fact that low speed work is as easy as high speeds .

I give these a 10/10 , look forward to finding the time for some serious carving .

Cheers .Alpineart
Jhalkhoree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Jhalkhoree »

For those looking for well priced carving tools, try the Kutzall burrs from excaliburtools.com.au
I have not tried them myself but I have got their carving disc which I use for wood carving and believe me they work wonders.

Cheers

Jay
Ilemaurice
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jhalkhoree , Mate burrs pale in comparison to cutter/carvers , they are designed for smoothing and finishing work be it timber , steel or whatever . These toothed types of cutters are designed for removing large amounts of material in a short period .

Yes you can use burrs for carving but I would be there for a month of Sundays carving the trunks I have here , don't have that much spare time .

Cheers . alpine
davidhsyd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by davidhsyd »

I'm stocking the nibbler bits here in Oz if anyone wants one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

I have wanted a die grinder and some decent carving bits for a while. I have used the dremel with a router bit although its ok it does not remove enough wood. After seeing this post i orded some toys. Well today was my second birthday for the year :tu: i have to say works very well. Moves a lot of wood fast.

20170530_164221-2016x1512.jpg
20170530_175444-1512x2016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
SteveL
Favorite Species: jbp
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: cbs

Post by SteveL »

Hi Alpineart, thanks for the info. I only have a bit of carving to do so I don't want to buy a die grinder - do you know if these bits work in an electric drill?
Steve
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Steve , sorry about the late reply , mate i have used them in a drill and they are a bit tricky to handle . A drill is not well balance for the job but on high speed if you dont push the cutters too hard they certainly will handle the task . The minimum speed on the variable die grinder is 9000 rpm my drill is 2800 rpm , the mini cutter would be the better option in a drill .

Cheers . Alpineart
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

alpineart wrote: May 19th, 2017, 7:38 am After test driving a terrier bit a couple of weeks ago I decided to check out Bonsaisensations range of cutters . I had tried to locate Teins nursery on my last trip to Melb' but with no directions I didn't make it . A quick Phone call after locating his site on Ausbonsai , the selection was made and they were posted off arriving yesterday . P1120784.JPGP1120786.JPG

Being a chippy I have purchased and used plenty of different shaping and carving bits and look forward to putting these puppies to the test next week on a couple of big trunks which are i need of some serious work . My next trip will include a visit to Bonsaisensation and a chat with the man himself . I don't need any more tree's but you never know .

Cheers . Alpineart
Hi Alpine,

Can you recommend which ones are essential? I can't justify buying them all but have an old Plum that needs some big carving done. Was thinking maybe the number 6 and the number 3. Do you think this would be suitable for removing bulk wood then detailing with the number 6?

Thanks,
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Luke , mate they all have ideal jobs from bulk material removal to detailing .

The 2 rounded cutter eat softwood with ease the 35mm 8 toothed larger cutter was my favourite for bulk removal at any speed , the smallest cutter is great for detailing and smaller area removal .

Can't fault any of these and I was tough on trunks , take care which ever cutter you choose , safety first .

Cheers . Ian
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I Purchased the smaller one for Dremel and found it to be a very useful and easy to use tool. great for tidying up after rough work and for accessing deeper down into holes or trunks etc.

Grant
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Turns out my dremmel won't take 5mm shaft bits.

I cant justify buying a die grinder for the 2 or 3 trees I may use it on so wondering if there is another solution.

Could I use this larger chuck in the dremmel?
Screenshot_20200715-211751_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Luke308 wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:51 pm Turns out my dremmel won't take 5mm shaft bits.

I cant justify buying a die grinder for the 2 or 3 trees I may use it on so wondering if there is another solution.

Could I use this larger chuck in the dremmel?Screenshot_20200715-211751_Chrome.jpg
Nevermind - I bit the bullet and bought a die grinder on ebay for next to nothing.
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

I have the dremel chuck and found it quite useful. There are certain bits that have the smaller shaft which means i don't have to change collets.

Return to “Availability of supplies”