Fig disease update

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
aubigfig50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 50

Fig disease update

Post by aubigfig50 »

Just an update on the problems I have been having with my figs.
Original post viewtopic.php?f=133&t=24174
After close inspection of the underside of the leaves I found little brown bumps. These are present on all the effected leaves.
They seem to be some sort of thrip. I have sprayed with Conguard ( a systemic insecterside) and picked off all the effected leaves. I hope this will fix the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Fig disease update

Post by shibui »

Those look like scale insects. That's fairly common with figs. Oil sprays are effective. Systemics are also effective and Conguard says it controls scale so that should fix them.
Keep a sharp eye out in case they come back after a while.
The yellow leaves could be just the scale or it might be from a combination of scale and root problems.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Thanks for sharing the update. It is always good to find a cause for plant problems. I have found scale on my Junipers, Callistemon and Schefflera, but not on my figs. Now I know it is something to watch out for!
aubigfig50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 50

Post by aubigfig50 »

I have had figs for over 30 years and never had this problem until 3 years ago. I hope spraying will solve the problem as it causes terrible die back of branches.

Redsonic wrote:Thanks for sharing the update. It is always good to find a cause for plant problems. I have found scale on my Junipers, Callistemon and Schefflera, but not on my figs. Now I know it is something to watch out for!

Return to “Pests and Diseases”