My Cedrus with Koji

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: My Cedrus with Koji

Post by bodhidharma »

bonsaisensation wrote:Hi squizzy
It's a cedrus libani. I grew those 12 years ago and swapped a few with Dominic last year. Good to see them go to someone who appreciates them.

Regards
squizzy wrote: I should have picked that. It looks a lot like your cedars.
Hi Squizz and thanks Tien :tu: The reason i said atlantica is that my Libani is a much lighter green than my atlantica but that could be because of different growing conditions.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

All good bodhi. I was only going off what I recognised libani to be from other plants. A lot of mislabeled plants circulating so I was wondering if I could have been wrong.

Hi Tien. Just quickly. Any advice on how and when to pot this based on your experience. Koji suggested a shallow round pot which I thought could be a stretch. Should I reduce the root mass over a few years?

Squizzy
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pinus
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: bonsai society of vic

Post by bonsaisensation »

Hi squzzy
My usual root pruning time for cedars is in mid spring. I find the tree recovers well when repotted in mid spring when the tree has new growth emerging.
I repotted a whole lot of brother and sister trees to yours in late summer this year. It's proven to be a mistake. 40% pushed on, 40% 50/50, and 20% dropped most of the needles. Every single one of them were root pruned very hard to fit into bonsai pot, on average 60%-80% reduction from the root mass like yours. So if done in mid spring, I'd do the same amount of root reduction and expect a much higher recovery rate.

Regards

Tien
check out our new website:
http://bonsaisensation.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

That's great advice Tien.

Thank you

Squizzy
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bonsaisensation wrote:Hi squzzy
My usual root pruning time for cedars is in mid spring. I find the tree recovers well when repotted in mid spring when the tree has new growth emerging.
I repotted a whole lot of brother and sister trees to yours in late summer this year. It's proven to be a mistake. 40% pushed on, 40% 50/50, and 20% dropped most of the needles. Every single one of them were root pruned very hard to fit into bonsai pot, on average 60%-80% reduction from the root mass like yours. So if done in mid spring, I'd do the same amount of root reduction and expect a much higher recovery rate.

Regards

Tien
Hi Tien
Have you tried the root pruning in early spring before or at bud burst and have you noticed a difference between that and mid spring repot?
Mike
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi michael
I have always repotted my cedars WHEN I can see new buds emerging. This may vary from early spring to mid spring. I found that the worst that could happen is the old needles will drop but the EXISTING new buds will grow into it. The constant warmth in spring helps the new buds to grow into maturity. I have not done it before the emergence of new buds so can't really contribute to that.
What's been your experience?

Regards
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bonsaisensation wrote:Hi michael
I have always repotted my cedars WHEN I can see new buds emerging. This may vary from early spring to mid spring. I found that the worst that could happen is the old needles will drop but the EXISTING new buds will grow into it. The constant warmth in spring helps the new buds to grow into maturity. I have not done it before the emergence of new buds so can't really contribute to that.
What's been your experience?

Regards
I haven't really documented when it has been more effective but I have experienced all the needles falling off and some needles falling off. A couple of times the needles never returned but that was rare. Someone told me they had the best results in April.
Mike
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

I have heard that someone has very good results in the middle of summer, which is why I tried it, albeit late summer in March. I won't be doing it again thought.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”