Position Vacant - Assistant Curator NBPCA

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Position Vacant - Assistant Curator NBPCA

Post by Nate.bonsai »

squizzy wrote:Well in case Samuel is on the forum,

Well done on your appointment as assistant curator. I hope you enjoy your new role and you can earn the trust of some of the doubtful.

Lets all hope this is a step in the right direction for bonsai in Australia.

Squizzy
I agree. I have read some rather 'death to the infidel and the organisation that appointed him' responses online.

Until we see how it plays out, we should continue to support the institution and give the man a reasonable chance to introduce himself and demonstrate his suitability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I am not sure how many people will be willing to loan their babies out when they don't know the person responsible for their care. I know I had a great mechanic who could tune the LPG on my F series very well - he sold the business and I only went back once. Bonsai can't be replaced regardless of how much they are insured for :lost:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Bougy Fan wrote:I am not sure how many people will be willing to loan their babies out when they don't know the person responsible for their care. I know I had a great mechanic who could tune the LPG on my F series very well - he sold the business and I only went back once. Bonsai can't be replaced regardless of how much they are insured for :lost:
I have complete faith in Leigh and his team. As long as my trees continue to make the grade im happy to loan them.
Shannon will be sadly missed. I heard he did some good work to a microcarpa fig i donated.
Last edited by Matthew on August 10th, 2017, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borosta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Borosta »

I have complete faith in Leigh and his team. As long as my trees continue to make the grade im happy to loan them.
Shannon will be sadly missed. I heard he did some good work to a microcarpa fig i donated.[/quote]

As long as you recognize it's the volunteers and the assistant curator who actually look after the trees.

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Borosta wrote:I have complete faith in Leigh and his team. As long as my trees continue to make the grade im happy to loan them.
Shannon will be sadly missed. I heard he did some good work to a microcarpa fig i donated.
As long as you recognize it's the volunteers and the assistant curator who actually look after the trees.

Yep,quite aware. Never had any problems with regular updates etc.and every time the trees have come back better from when they left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

The young man who has been successful is not,I believe, the issue - all he did was apply for a position that should never have been advertised - blind obedience to policy is draconian and if supported by unqualified adjudication leads to terrible outcomes - I wonder if there will ever be a return to common sense.

There has been no suggestion that Shannon had not been doing a first class job for 3 years(the fact that it was on a contractual basis is completely irrelevant)and he also has, I am informed, over 25years of bonsai experience, a recognized and respected member of the Australian bonsai community as well as at minimum being known of internationally - sadly he does not have a degree or two in completely unrelated disciplines.

Samuel deserves being given the benefit of any doubt but it is a tad disturbing that, as said in another post, there is difficulty finding much about him within bonsai communication/media.
Borosta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Borosta »

Well said JP you can't get any clearer than that.

I think it's lost on some amongst the permanent trees, there are a lot of loan trees. It is those that really make the National Arboretum successful.

Understandably people are concerned about how the care for their trees will be affected. As I said before, the actual hands on care of people's prized possessions comes down to the Assistant Curator and the volunteers. Luckily as this point a constant will be some of the volunteers. Would you send your kids away somewhere with people you don't know?

It's difficult to have faith in an irrational concept. OR a process that is influenced by unscrupulous behaviour of agenda pushing bureaucrats with no accountability,self respect let alone respect for others or their living assets.

I only hope the new position holder embraces the role with the passion and dedication to the trees, as experienced over the last 3 years. That it doesn't just become a dog and pony show OR just a typical government safe haven for those who can't survive in an open, transparent and accountable environment.

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Look, i know life goes on but according to Sam's F.B page he is single. Shannon is a family man who uprooted from Brissy to Canberra to make the job happen. This is what piss's me off. How could that not be taken into account? Must be heartbreaking for him and his family.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

bodhidharma wrote:Look, i know life goes on but according to Sam's F.B page he is single. Shannon is a family man who uprooted from Brissy to Canberra to make the job happen. This is what piss's me off. How could that not be taken into account? Must be heartbreaking for him and his family.
Fully agree.

Kind Regards,

Peter
Borosta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Borosta »

bodhidharma wrote:Look, i know life goes on but according to Sam's F.B page he is single. Shannon is a family man who uprooted from Brissy to Canberra to make the job happen. This is what piss's me off. How could that not be taken into account? Must be heartbreaking for him and his family.
Spot on.

Personal sacrifices mean little to set agendas.

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I'm certainly not taking sides here however.
Has anyone ever considered how many professional "Bonsai jobs" of this calibre and pay grade there are out there in Australia right now?
Do we not think that perhaps it might be fair that someone else get a shot?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps there are a bunch of persons that would love this role and it might give hope that in the future they might get a chance too.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Wow, the support for Samuel is overwhelming.
Shall we burn him at the stake or just tar & feather him?
He's young & single & kept a low profile - so he can't be any good for the role right?.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines

Post by squizzy »

Yes KCR

It would seem that way, but its probably not. You are all just upset for Shannon right? You are upset with the process of selection right? I know one thing, even if I had the ability for the role I wouldn't want it by the looks of things.

Only a few of us seem to want to congratulate Samuel??????

I personally just want both of them to do well but they both cant have the role.

squizzy
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:Wow, the support for Samuel is overwhelming.
Shall we burn him at the stake or just tar & feather him?
He's young & single & kept a low profile - so he can't be any good for the role right?.
Nobody has said "he can't be any good for the role" I am sympathising with Shannon and his Family. Empathy..right, remember that? Shannon did not do a thing wrong in his role as the assistant and now unemployed, wife, children, yeah. It is not about the new Guy but about the process and Shannon and his family. Well known here on A.B to us guys who have been here for a while.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I agree with KCR and Squizzy.

I don't know Shannon, but do know that he is VERY widely respected and loved. I also understand that this was his idea of a dream job and he is very upset to have lost it. It is very understandable to offer him our deepest sympathies, support and best wishes.

But, unless and until we actually know that (i) some skullduggery took place in the appointment process or (ii) the new guy has no relevant knowledge, experience, skills and is a jerk, I think that it is not fair to withdraw all support for the institution and/or attack the new guy before he takes his first steps in the job.

The institution and its collection is great and I for one hope that it continues to offer such a great resource (which we should absolutely acknowledge Shannon has played a very significant role in) into the future. I also think that the new guy deserves a chance.

I stress that I am not seeking to take anything away from Shannon at all. I also accept that this may be an unpopular post, as people obviously feel strongly and emotionally about this. I just think that we shouldn't pull the trigger until we are actually sure.

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”