Position Vacant - Assistant Curator NBPCA

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Position Vacant - Assistant Curator NBPCA

Post by regwac »

There was a set agenda here . The ACT government set an agenda of a three year contract followed by opening up the opportunity to all comers . The selection committee then set about selecting a PUBLIC SERVANT based on the criteria for selecting a public servant . An inside source tells me that your ability to be good in an interview is the most important attribute.
The Bonsai community is thinking that the best Bonsai person should have been selected not the best interviewee . Perhaps the Bonsai community is right .
For the record , I know Shannon and regard him as a friend . I am disappointed for him on both the personal and professional levels .
Cheers
Graham
hoody6980
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines, olives
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by hoody6980 »

Hi all
I'm truly saddened/ disappointed In the news this week that Shannon will not retain his position at the arboretum.
I don't no of a better man suited to this job, he is a passionate thoughtful professional who always had the trees and there owners best intersest at the forefront of every decision made!
I have had the pleasure of a few of my trees being in the collection over the last few years. They came back better and stronger than when they left.

I had a call up on a random Sunday from Shannon to say "hey mate the kids were loving the fisherman under the last tree". (I had a penjing style raft with a tiny fisherman figurine on a rock)
He didn't have to make this call, I hardly new Shannon, but being a father of 2 beautiful girls who I hope will carry on my passion for Bonsai it certainly made my day.
I'm sure many others have had a similar experience which is one of the reasons we had so much confidence that our tress were in good hands because he cared!
Over the last few years Shannon and I have become good friends and my thoughts go to a man and his family who completely changed there lives to relocate to Canberra to follow his dream job...... hope the next guy has the same heart and drive.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Unfortunately I think two people don't gain from this situation . The one thing I am certain about is one person should be relieved of there job . The NBPCA is the main draw card for the arbortium , there are far better tourist destinations in Canberra . black mountain (because it has a better view ) , the War Memorial , the Aboriginal Tent Embassy to name just a few . I'm sure it has been a mutual benefit for both parties but Without the NBPCA in the arbortium it's just an expensive car park with a gift shop and cafe . There is no way the NBPCA could be run by two people ,the volunteers are a key component in its success . I would be interested to know if there was any consultation with volunteers .
I am not a volunteer ,I did express my interest in becoming a volunteer .unfortunately I have reservations now based solely on the way this decision process has been conducted .
Maybe the ACT government has plans of phasing out the volunteers because I know if this sort of behavior was mirrored in the other organistions I volunteer in , you would not have a good participation .
Liz Clarke this was very poor management . You are the person who put your name to this ,you are the person who I believe is unsuitable for your position .
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

bodhidharma wrote:
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:Wow, the support for Samuel is overwhelming.
Shall we burn him at the stake or just tar & feather him?
He's young & single & kept a low profile - so he can't be any good for the role right?.
Nobody has said "he can't be any good for the role" I am sympathising with Shannon and his Family. Empathy..right, remember that? Shannon did not do a thing wrong in his role as the assistant and now unemployed, wife, children, yeah. It is not about the new Guy but about the process and Shannon and his family. Well known here on A.B to us guys who have been here for a while.
:wave: Bohdi,
Empathy.....right - I do remember that!
You should probably be aware by now that the "new Guy" has a name - It's Samuel.
Implying I lack empathy for Shannon (shall we call him the "old Guy" then?) & his family, by simply welcoming the "new Guy" to a role, is an assumption that is both unfair & untrue.
Regardless of how long you've been a member of A.B. - don't make judgements about me, purely based on your own incorrect assumptions.

To save further confusion -
I do sympathise with Shannon & family for his employment loss.
I do congratulate Samuel with his new employment gain.
I wish BOTH parties all the best in overcoming the many challenges that lie ahead.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

OK this seem to be a passionate topic. Let's remember to keep it respectful and to discuss the topic of the new curator and not derail with comments about posters personalities and opinions.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

# Edited quote#
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: To save further confusion -
I wish BOTH parties all the best in overcoming the many challenges that lie ahead.
Exactly, well said KC&R. In every competition there is a winner and a 2nd place. Applying for a job is simply a competition, so congratulations Samuel and commiserations Shannon.
To the many, many people who have made comment, throughout the entire Internet, they wont be lending any more trees to the NBPCA because Shannon wont be looking after them anymore, remember Samuel is but one man, the same as Shannon is. There is a whole team of mostly experienced people at the collection, who have volunteered to look after all your trees. I doubt they will stop doing that simply because Shannon isn't there holding their hands.

Good luck to both Samuel in the new job and Shannon, in whatever you decide to do, going forward.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:To save further confusion -
Thank you for that and if that statement had preceded your last post it would have been more understandable. :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
RONG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 46
Bonsai Club: none

Post by RONG »

Lived in Canberra for 50 of my 73 years. I know how these Public Service Selection Committees operate - been on plenty in my time.

Started doing Bonsai 55 years ago - still doing them.

Is this the new NBPCA Assistant Curator?

https://au.linkedin.com/in/samuelthompson2
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Yes. The details on the Linkedin page correspond with those given by Liz Clarke (see above, p.2) and the portrait on Linkedin is almost the same as that on his Facebook profile. For other photos, also on Facebook, showing Samuel Thompson's at Kunio Kobayashi's school, see p.james posts above, on p.2.

Lisa
RONG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 46
Bonsai Club: none

Post by RONG »

Have put the data from Linkedin together in a timeline
I make no comment but rather leave it open to you for discussion/analysis
Samuel Thompson -Linkedin Data.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

bodhidharma wrote:
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:To save further confusion -
Thank you for that and if that statement had preceded your last post it would have been more understandable. :tu2:
It's probably more understandable if you re-read my 2 x posts within this thread, to see both were aimed at the dirty word - DISCRIMINATION.
Last edited by Keep Calm and Ramify on August 13th, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi There

From my past experiences this sort of thing happens when you tick someone off or someone feels threatened by you :?: :?:

Just my :2c: from a different direction.
JC
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:It's probably more understandable if you re-read my 2 x posts within this thread, to see both were aimed at the dirty word - DISCRIMINATION.
Sorry KCR, but i have now lost your meaning and have no idea how you have come to that conclusion. Also don't think further adding to this thread will have any satisfactory outcomes for either of us.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

RONG,

Thank you for the time line data - it has helped but not in the way I thought
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

I'm unsure what is going on here----some of the posts seem political----but I could be wrong :lost:

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”