Ficus winter damage, what's next?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Ficus winter damage, what's next?

Post by Bonbon »

Bought a green island fig months ago. Just noticed some winter damage.
The leaves at the apex and outer branches all yellow wilted and fallen
Scratched the branch, its still green underneath.
Anyone have similar experience to share? Will it bounce back?
Never have winter damage in my Port Jacksons.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ficus winter damage, what's next?

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Bonbon..there are many reasons for leaf drop in figs...but what your describing with yellowing and leaf drop especially at the margins sounds like water stress/dehydration due to lack of water,basically inconsistencies in watering and if your medium is very porous or spent this could be exacerbating the problem....of course very difficult when the tree is not in front me...cheers mate.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ficus winter damage, what's next?

Post by shibui »

I get similar leaf drop in PJs almost every year because it actually gets cold down here. Sir Theodore has had really bad burn on PJs even under cover in Wodonga this winter.
They have always sprouted again soon after the weather warms up. Sometimes I lose the tips of branches but it all soon grows back. Some of my problems I have attributed to fungal problems possibly related to being too wet, maybe aggravated by cool temps.
I understand that GI is more sensitive to cold so maybe your area is just on the margin of its tolerance as PJ is at our area. Down here the winter was colder than usual so we have damage on species that normally winter OK.

As Anthony has pointed out there are many other possible reasons and I can't offer more than possibilities either because I can't see the tree. My advice is always to wait and see what happens. You cannot undo what was done, just assess the outcome and maybe try some things to avoid it next winter.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tropical”