alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Root stock for Prunus mume

Post by alpineart »

Hi Guys , I'm on the lookout for some good root stock to graft Prunus Mume onto . I have a couple of Japanese flowering peaches which won't be used for my bonsai material , I will utilize and graft/approach graft onto however I chasing smaller purpose grown root stock . If anybody knows of a nursery or supplier please let me know .

Appreciate any assistance .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Root stock for Prunus mume

Post by alpineart »

I have managed to find some root stock from a local tree nursery :D . Heading up there today to collect them so I might just checkout there stock , never know what I might find ;) .

Cheers . Alpine
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I am sure you need MORE trees Alpine!
Show us what u find please

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm with Ken, let us know how you go please!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The rootstock normally used to graft plums and apricots here ( myrobolan plum) should be suitable for prunus mume.
It is very easy to strike as cuttings or dig up some suckers growing under plum or apricot trees when you see them. Suckers usually start to develop roots in 1 or 2 years and will be fine even if they only have a few tiny hair roots.
Prunus can also be grafted as cutting grafts. Just graft onto a piece of unrooted myrobolan then put the combined piece in as a cutting. The graft will heal while the stock grows roots.

I'll see what I can find here in case you don't get any other offers. You should also be able to get rootstock from Tom and Erin at Stanley.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Guys got the root stock , now sticks in pots with movement wired in . I did get them from Tom and Erin in Stanley and had to explain to Karen that I had a few Punus Mumes to graft onto them , hence I didn't make any other purchases .
My plan is to graft the mume onto the lower wired sections , then layer the mid sections off for more root stock then graft again .

Sorry but there is no pics as my camera has decided that 150,000 photo's is enough work for any electronic mechanism , now I will have to wait til Fathers Day for a new one unless Karen and Noah decide it worth getting an early present . .

Hi Shibui ,thanks for the heads up on the cutting for the root stock , I have research Prunus Mume and they can be layered mid Spring so that should result in more Mumes . I have seen pics of the stock that is coming and it looks like there will be plenty of length for both grafts cuttings and layers .

Cheers . Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

I hijacked the Wife's camera while she is at work to upload the pics , the sticks
P1130376.JPG
wired sticks in pots
P1130378.JPG

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well the Prunus Mume arrived last week by special delivery
PA050168.JPG
. I have slapped a basic wire on the trunks and are preparing for cuttings and approach grafts . The change in environment has seen them a little burnt from the last weeks frost , guess QLD weather is a bit different from mine :whistle: Finding the time is a difficulty at the moment with plenty of other priority issues to contend with .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Here are some of the approach grafted trunksthat were severed around March/April this year and had the graft bases cleaned up today
DSCN1162.JPG
graft
DSCN1163.JPG
DSCN1164.JPG
graft
DSCN1165.JPG
DSCN1166.JPG
DSCN1167.JPG
graft
DSCN1168.JPG
open pot air layer
DSCN1169.JPG
cuttings grown
DSCN1170.JPG
DSCN1171.JPG
While I was at it a few cuttings and layers were taken just to test the results .

Cheers . Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on September 7th, 2018, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Lookin good Ian. Do you graft them to make them grow more strongly?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel' originally I just wanted to try my hand at grafting again . I was taught by an old timer many moons ago . These are just test tree's for the sake of proving which method is more successful over the other .

As with most trials I use several approaches /methods and the more tree's the better more reliable the results .

1 / The ground growing cuttings have almost outperformed the original purchase stock.

2 / All the cuttings have produced very good roots .

3 / Approach grafting is very simple and neat , these were severed after 8-9 months

$/ Open pot layering does work , I read the other night its almost "impossible"to air layer mume but that was only 1 topic . I would however leave these attached for at least 12 months , I severed these at 8-9 months , severe early frosts killed 4 out of the 5 and burnt the leader I intended to leave on the main trunk . I changed my mind and thought I would leave it on the layer . It is just below the ring bark and tourniquet, the new roots are above this trunk/branch , it may die or it may live .

6 / Position in the garden does influence winter foliage colour seen on the planter bag plants , none of the material dropped the leaves and all seemed to keep growing

Plenty to learn about this species but willing to give it a shot . I'll test the cutting grown material against the grafted plants and test the cutting grown grow bed stock against the original purchase plants .

By the time I finish playing with these I should now a little more about them than I know today

I have found any info on root pruning or transplanting as yet , haven't look too hard , so I may sacrifice a few to try different times and how severe they can be cut back .

Cheers . Alpine
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Ok thanks Ian

If you got these from JAC up in Greenbank, then I have the same ones. I have air layered successfully, and also gotten quite a few cuttings quite easily. They grow strongly in a big pot, and yes, the air layer that survived has grown faster than the original plants. I had one flower this year, and have cut roots with a repot early in Winter. They don't lose their leaves here in Brisbane, or even colour up in Autumn. New Spring growth, however, is pretty pinkish tones.

I think I'll have to plant one in the ground and see how it goes!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel' these came from somewhere on the Gold Coast and Bougy delivered them on a yearly visit . I dont know the name or colours these are but the performance is a very good alround tree to play with . Do you have a pic of the flower or topic on your tree ?

Cheers . Alpine
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

The ones I have I bought from a guy at Greenbank, south of Brisbane. Leaves on yours look similar to mine.

Here's a link to a topic I wrote when doing the air layer. viewtopic.php?f=132&t=25149&hilit=+mume and the flowers are the pic down the bottom of the page. It doesn't appear to have set any fruit this time, but I was really pleased to see a flower. The guy selling the trees I bought has them growing on his large block, and they grow quite tall and wide, with a weeping habit.

Another post with pics viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24210&hilit=+mume
Last edited by melbrackstone on September 7th, 2018, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel' thanks for the links , I missed these posts when I obviously took time out from Bonsai . I think mine are from the same supplier .

Any idea of the variety , I have no info at all.

Cheers . Alpine

Return to “Availability of supplies”