Kurume Azalea

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Kurume Azalea

Post by treeman »

P1110498.JPG
?
P1110500.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Re: Kurume Azalea

Post by Gerard »

I think the change of angle works, although I do remember that first very low branch has lots of character which sets the tree apart
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Works better angled up a bit. Go for it.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

+1 for the new tilt.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Lovely tree Mike. Gotta ask though, is it flowering now or is that an older picture? Mine are nowhere near being in flower yet.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Way too early up here too Bodhi but I noticed flowering plants at a local nursery this week. I guess they get them in from a warmer area for early spring colour.
Mike's nice warm location close to the coast would have a big impact on timing of spring.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

I m thinking different to the other posters with maybe the exception of Gerard who has alluded but not quite sure,but maybe I can turn im lol

Let me explain why the original is clearly the best from where i am sitting...the tree has a bias to the left,if we note the first branch is set very low and reaching very flat as outward...this gives great character to the tree,structurally and and aesthetically,..why and how !?.. because the main trunk has gradual taper which is good but on its own lacks presence,but with the low branch working the nice bias/slant with the main to the left our eye focuses on both them dancing that way as a team with there elegance...bends crooked,small leaf, small flower which equals balance and flow.

Now tilting up especially with now our a new front elevation our lower branch now gels into the next branch losing its character and pad with next branch and pad on the same side, basically losing its individualism/soul... and nearly putting the bottom of the branch/pad on closer plane with the other side (right side)....and also in 2d gives the awkwardness of the pad going back to the trunk against flow from the ramification (hard to explain that one in print).

And in finishing the low branch coming up in height and closer plane to other side and allusion with gelling with next branch on its side looses for viewing front on for flowers if only in allusion and counterproductive to the beauty of its many flowers.

So what I am saying is,your tree will lose its integrity of the design if tilted imo ..thats why you originally designed it that way Mike...thanks for a say,food for thought maybe cheers

Anthony.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

All very valid points Anthony. Initially I thought the same but I would expect Mike to lower that second trunk a little after tilting the tree. That will reinstate the asymmetry of the lower foliage line, open up a gap between the 2 foliage masses and alleviate the problem? of the second trunk
and also in 2d gives the awkwardness of the pad going back to the trunk against flow from the ramification (hard to explain that one in print).
(which could also be rectified by simple pruning even if the trunk stays at the current angle)

Either way this is a fine specimen of Azalea bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

anthonyW wrote:I m thinking different to the other posters with maybe the exception of Gerard who has alluded but not quite sure,but maybe I can turn im lol

Let me explain why the original is clearly the best from where i am sitting...the tree has a bias to the left,if we note the first branch is set very low and reaching very flat as outward...this gives great character to the tree,structurally and and aesthetically,..why and how !?.. because the main trunk has gradual taper which is good but on its own lacks presence,but with the low branch working the nice bias/slant with the main to the left our eye focuses on both them dancing that way as a team with there elegance...bends crooked,small leaf, small flower which equals balance and flow.

Now tilting up especially with now our a new front elevation our lower branch now gels into the next branch losing its character and pad with next branch and pad on the same side, basically losing its individualism/soul... and nearly putting the bottom of the branch/pad on closer plane with the other side (right side)....and also in 2d gives the awkwardness of the pad going back to the trunk against flow from the ramification (hard to explain that one in print).

And in finishing the low branch coming up in height and closer plane to other side and allusion with gelling with next branch on its side looses for viewing front on for flowers if only in allusion and counterproductive to the beauty of its many flowers.

So what I am saying is,your tree will lose its integrity of the design if tilted imo ..thats why you originally designed it that way Mike...thanks for a say,food for thought maybe cheers

Anthony.
Thanks Anthony. I tend to agree with you. I believe I will leave the planted position as is but I will perhaps bring the apex to the right slightly as well as the right side of the tree down just a little. (Note that the first pic is not quite level) I think that would give it more stability without compromising what you have talked about.
Last edited by treeman on September 14th, 2017, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

bodhidharma wrote:Lovely tree Mike. Gotta ask though, is it flowering now or is that an older picture? Mine are nowhere near being in flower yet.
Yep flowering now but there are lots of unopened buds.
Mike
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria

Post by Ilithya »

Sir Treeman, is kurume/Kirin is very sensitive when you prune the roots and when is the best time to do it?

Thank you
Ilithya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Ilithya wrote:Sir Treeman, is kurume/Kirin is very sensitive when you prune the roots and when is the best time to do it?

Thank you
Ilithya

Kirin is a bit weaker than others In my experience but generally they handle root work well. They need less water - or they are more sensitive to too much water - than satsuki.
Repot before or after flowering. If before (better for the tree) pull the buds off. Repot in spring only
Mike
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria

Post by Ilithya »

treeman wrote:
Ilithya wrote:Sir Treeman, is kurume/Kirin is very sensitive when you prune the roots and when is the best time to do it?

Thank you
Ilithya

Kirin is a bit weaker than others In my experience but generally they handle root work well. They need less water - or they are more sensitive to too much water - than satsuki.
Repot before or after flowering. If before (better for the tree) pull the buds off. Repot in spring only

Thank you

JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

treeman wrote:
anthonyW wrote:I m thinking different to the other posters with maybe the exception of Gerard who has alluded but not quite sure,but maybe I can turn im lol

Anthony.
Thanks Anthony. I tend to agree with you. I believe I will leave the planted position as is but I will perhaps bring the apex to the right slightly as well as the right side of the tree down just a little. (Note that the first pic is not quite level) I think that would give it more stability without compromising what you have talked about.

Agree with you Mike, very nice composition!!! :worship: Love the pot too! :tu:

Cheers,
R&M
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Treeman, great tree man.

I don't think I've ever seen a tree of yours that I didn't like.

I'm curious what soil mix you use on your azaleas?

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”