Help - Pyracantha with wilting leaves

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Help - Pyracantha with wilting leaves

Post by Action Jackson »

Hi all an honest beginner and having trouble with my pyracantha.
The leaves have started to wilt in sections...I'm putting it down to possibly overwatering? However I always check the soil to make sure it's ready for a drink but still haven't worked out watering yet

ImageImage
Last edited by Action Jackson on October 8th, 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Help - Pyracantha with wilting leaves

Post by shibui »

I'm not getting your images AJ so it is a bit hard to work out what the problem might be.
Wilting this time of year is most likely a thirsty tree. Can you give us an idea of how you water and how often please?
2nd possibility would be a fungal infection in roots or trunk but I think that's less likely. I have not seen that happen to pyracantha either.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Action Jackson »

Shibui i am grateful of your response and i do hope that it is a thirsty tree.

I water with a watering can from the top of tree and cover the soil in pot. I scratch at the surface of the tree to make sure the soil is not wet but moist. This tree definitely needs a repot but i am too afraid to attempt it just yet

PS: photos should be fixed now
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

OK mate. I see photos now.
I'm pretty sure this is a thirsty tree but symptoms of root problems are identical because without roots the tree is also thirsty.
You say the tree needs a repot. That also points toward a thirsty tree. When the pot gets full of roots it is harder for water penetrate into the rootzone. I suspect if you repotted now you would find the rootball is very dry inside and only damp around the edges.
I recommend soaking the pot in water now. Leave it for a few hours or overnight. If the tips stand up properly again in a few hours I'm right :tu: If nothing improves after soaking we can eliminate dry as the problem :crybye:

Please update on the tree's response.
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Action Jackson »

Hi shibui I've given the tree a good soak in s bucket but chickened out leaving it overnight.

Hope there is improvement in the morning. Thank you so much for your help
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I echo Shibui’s diagnosis.

You have an open mix which means it’s going to dry out quickly.

I have some of mine sitting in a water tray. I also mist (as well as watering) as I’ve found they like humidity around the leaves.

I just noticed it in front of a window like it’s on a balcony. The air conditioner base isn’t next to it is it?
Last edited by Daluke on October 9th, 2017, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Action Jackson »

Hi Shibui - your diagnosis was right :tu: the leaves have bounced back this morning.

Daluke - thank you for the tips, I will add misting and not be so cautious with the watering. The tree is located on a plant bench in full sun - was only under the alfresco for the photo as it was late at night.

The tree definitely needs a repot and shibui was right that the water is reaching the roots due to the mass.
Is it too late in spring to repot? Also my mix is 40% pumice 40% pine chips 20% zeolite. I've read that for a pyra it is best to have more organic matter for successful fruiting?
Last edited by Action Jackson on October 9th, 2017, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Sounds like you have been underwatering. A little bit of water to moisten the top will not be enough to moisten the rootball. You need to water until you see water running freely from the drainage holes. Then allow it to dry a bit before rewatering. If it’s in full sun and warm, water that would probably be most days.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Action Jackson »

dansai wrote:Sounds like you have been underwatering. A little bit of water to moisten the top will not be enough to moisten the rootball. You need to water until you see water running freely from the drainage holes. Then allow it to dry a bit before rewatering. If it’s in full sun and warm, water that would probably be most days.
Hi dansai - yep you are right. I haven't been rewatering, just watering enough to cover the pot and making sure it drains through the holes. But it obviously hasn't been getting to the roots due to the density - I will now make an effort to rewater

was cautious because all I would read was that beginners are prone to kill trees by overwatering rather than under-watering.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Action Jackson wrote: was cautious because all I would read was that beginners are prone to kill trees by overwatering rather than under-watering.
Hmm interesting reading.
I'd say with a fair level of confidence that in Australia the opposite is far more likely.
It only takes 1 day of underwatering in Melbourne to lose Bonsai for good.

With free draining substrate/soil one can water pretty liberally with little negative impacts - especially over shorter timeframes.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hi Action, if you think it is root bound it definately needs re potting.Mean time open up the soil with chop sticks.poke the stick in several places around the pot and rotate GENTLY notice I said GENTLY.
This will allow more water to penertrate the root ball.

Cheers pup.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Action Jackson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Action Jackson »

Pup wrote:Hi Action, if you think it is root bound it definately needs re potting.Mean time open up the soil with chop sticks.poke the stick in several places around the pot and rotate GENTLY notice I said GENTLY.

Cheers pup.
Hi pup thanks for your advice will do as advised. Loving that i am able to get all this advice from experienced enthusiasts willing to help a beginner :tu:

Any tips on a soil mix and time of year to repot the pyra?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Action Jackson wrote:
Pup wrote:Hi Action, if you think it is root bound it definately needs re potting.Mean time open up the soil with chop sticks.poke the stick in several places around the pot and rotate GENTLY notice I said GENTLY.

Cheers pup.
Hi pup thanks for your advice will do as advised. Loving that i am able to get all this advice from experienced enthusiasts willing to help a beginner :tu:

Any tips on a soil mix and time of year to repot the pyra?
My mix here in WA is a bit different to yours, I two part Carnavon river Sand to 1 part coco peat to 1 part of a quality potting mix. You might have trouble with the sand try scoria.

Cheers pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I use the same basic mix for all my trees. They all seem to do well in the same mix. Using different mixes for each species is only adding a heap of work.

I think if I had a pot bound pyracantha at this time of year I'd probably repot it. They are pretty tough and it has only just started to grow so should cope with repotting, especially if you don't remove too much - maybe up to 1/2 of the roots.
Pup's hole poking suggestion will get you through this summer if you are not brave enough to try a repot now.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

May be worth gently removing it from the pot and taking a photo of it to show how rootbound it is. Just slip it out carefully and don't disturb it, they way people can tell you how urgently it may need to be repotted.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Return to “Evergreen”