Crab Aples from seed

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Crab Aples from seed

Post by Matthew »

alpineart wrote:A start on these has taken place today , with so many trunks I will end up scrapping anything that looks ordinary saving time and space for the better material .
P1130340.JPG
P1130341.JPG
With 5-6 different varieties I will need to sort out area's for each and plant some of the developed material into planter bags for sale , some has been and more will be grafted with other varieties hoping to produce a few double and triple grafted specimens .

Cheers Alpineart
great work Alpine . I have found that the purple leaf variety I have grown in the ground before is very hit and miss with its rebuding. I have 3 out of the ground this year in training pots just trunks so I hope they pop where I want them :? :?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Matthew , mate most of the reds here have been propagated from that single little trunk you gave me all those years ago when you moved down here .. The original plant is still in its pot the trimmings both root and branch are where most of the good reds come from .

I have found the root cutting superior for back budding however the other branch cutting appear to be fairly reasonable , I do hack them back hard every year and during the grow season and like everything's else here Rustica Plus is the preferred fertilizer . The orchard growers up here cant be wrong .

I have been using the trimmings from those and the original red for grafting onto other stock , hope they work out .

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These are some of the root cuttings from the Plant Matthew gave me .
P8260002 (1).JPG
P8260004.JPG
All have good movement some of which was wire in during the first season , 1 is a root cutting with a graft attached . These are awaiting a hack and chop
P8260005.JPG
, not with a hammer or axe as some suggest but not with trimming scissors either , they will be planted into bags or put back into a grow bed ,there will be plenty of root cuttings produced this season again .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Here is some more of the developing trunks that have been potted up
P8270006.JPG
, large enough to be shohin when branches are developed and refined .
P8270008.JPG
The original tree on the left from Matthew which has donated all the branch , seed and root cuttings , it has been in a pot all its life , the middle tree is a seed grown from the original several years old , it along with the original trunk will have the apexes layered off this season . The last trunk is a root cutting a couple of season old , a ground grown twin trunk . I still have quite a few Reds to be placed back into the grow beds before starting on the heritage stock .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on August 27th, 2017, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These are growing very well considering the flowered and fruited in winter I'm surprised they have the energy so early to do it all again
P9230140.JPG
P9230141.JPG
P9230145.JPG
P9230142.JPG
P9230143.JPG
P9230144.JPG
The grow bed is a little slower than the potted material
P9230139.JPG
but who's in a hurry .

Cheers .Alpineart
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hey Alpine, I think I remember reading somewhere that crabapple only fruit when they are around other crabs, is that correct? Mine has begun leafing out now but no flowers as yet.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Pearcy001 , some crab apples along with other species are self pollinating , the red one here flowered without any other crab apples and the fruit had viable seed , that doesn't mean it is self pollinating there could be any number of tree's next door or around the corner :?: .

From the fruit of this red I started off the journey into various varieties types of crab apples here , then the root cutting's were used to produce more tree's then cuttings and layers have also been taken . These 2 will have open pot layers set this season .

It is recommended the you have 2 tree's unless you know for sure it's self pollinating .

Cheers Alpine
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Like the second one from the end nice chunky trunk .
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Like the triple trunk something you don’t see often in these
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Meagi , mate there are plenty of different configurations here , the new grow beds are now full of trainers
PA130185.JPG
PA130186.JPG
PA130187.JPG

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This was part of a topic at last nights club meeting .I didn't complete the task until this morning with the ring bark and wire tourniquet method used
PA250284.JPG
PA250287.JPG
. Its an open pot layer , both have had a selective trim
PA250288.JPG
PA250289.JPG
and its back on the bench . I'm hoping to produce a shohin trunk be it single or twin to challenge Shibui at next years show :whistle: , might have to enter a shohin pot plant this year :oops: . I have a few small trainers but nothing well defined so rather than waste the apex a layer is a worthwhile prospect .

Cheers . Alpineart

Return to “Deciduous”