Is this Zelkova worth trying to bonsai

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
redeye
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: exotics
Bonsai Age: 10

Is this Zelkova worth trying to bonsai

Post by redeye »

Been away a looong time :( Found this growing out of a pot, it was about 8' high and well rooted into the ground, so l chopped off the top and root level with the pot. Now, a few weeks later l have this
IMG_20171206_165257821_HDR_01.JPG
IMG_20171206_165238187_HDR_01.JPG
is this worth trying? (l'm still a newby at this) and if so, how should l proceed from here......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP

Re: Is this Zelkova worth trying to bonsai

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Zelkova make good bonsai and their leaves are lovely.

This is obviously juvenile, so next steps will depend on whether you wish to continue the develop the trunk (allow to grow on for girth, potentially in a larger pot or the ground, then cut back and regrow the next section) or take the trunk as is and start to develop the branches (allow them to grow on a bit to thicken, then cut back and start to develop the next section and ramification on the earlier section).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi redeye , mate I have a couple of these in training and 1 in the ground and as Nate stated they are very nice tree's . If you can put it in the ground to fatten up . I wouldn't remove any branches for this season and possible next years growth would be retained , they are fickle when it comes to back budding usually from an old node and multi shoots .

They fatten well and quickly when left to run , there is a possible new leader "second pic " in the mid section right side . Wire that up along with the top branch in keeping with the trunk movement . After a year or two in the ground or large container it could be layered off , or you could set a layer just above the branch mentioned and let both grow unhindered for the rest of this season .

That will give you 2 trunks for your effort and as a newby plenty of time to learn the growth habit ,training and styling of these beaut tree's .

Good luck which ever direction you take .

Cheers . Alpineart
redeye
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: exotics

Post by redeye »

either way (in the ground isn't really an option here) would l leave the multi branching as is, re the photo, or do you take them back to 1 branch?
IMG_20171206_165434452_HDR_01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I would remove so that only one exited at each junction and then fatten up 'the chosen one' by allowing a sacrifice branch or two to go wild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”