Metrosideros - NZ Christmas Bush

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Re: Metrosideros - NZ Christmas Bush

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

This told me loud and clear that I do need to repot it more often than i do this year lol so I finally got off my lazy ass and did that exact thing, I repotted it today.

When I had made my mind up to repot it, I looked at various ways that I could improve the design. With a slight change in angle and a good root prune, I think this is a better overall direction than previously. The pot is half the size it was in but with regular repotting feel its the way to go.

here is the obligatory before and after pics
NZXT 3 Jan 2019 A.jpg
*before - as you can see, it hasn't grown much at all and was crying out for a repot (oops, all my fault... lol)
NZXT 3 Jan 2018 B.jpg
*after - removed a large root at front but there were enough feeder to cover for it, removed many aerial roots from it that can be regrown, planting angle changed)

For me, I feel that it sits easier on the eye and has a much better direction than before but plenty of room for improvement as I might not be seeing something that you can.

The new pot is from Janet Selby, who is also a member of Illawarra Bonsai Society, which we are extremely lucky for. Her pots are getting better and better.

I will post an update once it regains vigor and health from this repot.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

Willow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

Thought you might enjoy this Metrosiderous I saw in Auckland on my last visit. Until then I had no idea they grew like this-I was used to seeing them as a shrub!! LOL
IMG_6230.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I think it looks much better! The aerial roots, although interesting, were quite distracting, which is very obvious once you've taken them away! Good on you!
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

The new planting angle looks SO much better! Good work.

On the flip side though, it seems a bit under-potted to my eye in the new pot. Whilst it isn't a monster trunk, there is still a lot of strength and visual weight to it. Also with the new planting angle the tree has a much more horizontal/sideways flow. For me, each needs a bit more weight to anchor it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Lovely tree, with lots of movement, complexity and character. Now that you have leaned it over, the left bottom branch looks a bit flat, or straight - not sure which. All of the other branches have strong movement. Would you consider funking it up a bit?

Although the pot looks a little small, it may just be a function of being so pale - I like the pot, and the tree, but I'm not so sure they're a happy marriage. The trunk is strong in line and colour, maybe the pot could be a bit stronger.

Just my 2c., I'd kill to have either.

Gavin
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

SueBee, Thank you for that photo, what an amazing trunk and base. That is beastly and I love it. Here is one that a friend of mine sent me that is a well known tree in NZ
Pohutakawa-Small.jpg
What a beautiful tree

Mel, I loved the ariel roots from it as we don't often see that on trees outside of ficus but with the repot, I thought it best to remove as they will regrow. Albeit in a wider pot they didn't look too out of place but in this, it would have looked strange to my eye. I get what you are saying and agree too, yet me being me, will regrow them hahaha :p

Nate and Gavin, Thank you Gents for your comments. I ummed and arred over this for a few weeks. Would it, wouldn't it...I appreciate your honesty as seeing this regularly can often blind me on what needs to be done. I have since given the lower left branching a tweak but not too much for now, but will be putting some subtle movement into it, along with the Apex as it almost mirrors that branch in question.

Thank you for your comments peeps, I genuinely appreciate it and it gives me food for thought from another perspective.

Cheers
Willow
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Lovely little pot but I too think it might be a little small for this tree.
I'm not sure that it will deliver the vigour that you're after either?

Good luck, I'm sure this will continue to flourish under your care.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Evergreen”