Interesting find and possible Bonsai

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Kyle GoldCoast
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig & Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Interesting find and possible Bonsai

Post by Kyle GoldCoast »

Update.
Been a week after the planting of the 'log', thats what I'm calling it haha. Looking good, some leaves look nice a bright green and don't look like the planting had a negative effect on the plant. The moss is starting to take hold now as well, its been getting daily water and misting 3-4 times a day.
I did notice however on day 3 that there was some orangey-brown pigments on some leaves, thought it was just pollen from a nearby plant where it came from so I kept an eye on it each day and it looks like it was speeding a little so I trimmed those leaves off.
IMG_9505.JPG
Anybody have any idea what it is and if its harmful to the plant?
IMG_9502.JPG
IMG_9503.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Hi Kyle,

Great "log" you have there. Definitely looks like Syzygium australe (a type of Lilly Pilly) to me and should grow well for you. One thing I would recommend at the moment is to remove any multiple shoots from one place down to 1 or you will get large bulges where they are that will continue put out buds every time you cut back.

As for the marks on your leaves, it is Myrtle Rust. A pretty severe disease that can kill your tree, spread to others around and does effect commercial crops. Pretty sure any official advice would be to destroy the tree immediately. Heres a link to some discussion on this site. I had some here years ago and I did no real treatment. We have had 4 years of very dry conditions and I have not seen it in this time. Its starting to get wet and humid again so I will be keeping a close eye on it. There are treatments, but most are quite toxic.

My recommendation would be to get it outside in a bright, airy location and stop misting the leaves as Myrtle Rust loves humid, still air. In general, Bonsai should be grown outside. Even if its hot.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Kyle GoldCoast
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyle GoldCoast »

dansai wrote:Hi Kyle,

Great "log" you have there. Definitely looks like Syzygium australe (a type of Lilly Pilly) to me and should grow well for you. One thing I would recommend at the moment is to remove any multiple shoots from one place down to 1 or you will get large bulges where they are that will continue put out buds every time you cut back.

As for the marks on your leaves, it is Myrtle Rust. A pretty severe disease that can kill your tree, spread to others around and does effect commercial crops. Pretty sure any official advice would be to destroy the tree immediately. Heres a link to some discussion on this site. I had some here years ago and I did no real treatment. We have had 4 years of very dry conditions and I have not seen it in this time. Its starting to get wet and humid again so I will be keeping a close eye on it. There are treatments, but most are quite toxic.

My recommendation would be to get it outside in a bright, airy location and stop misting the leaves as Myrtle Rust loves humid, still air. In general, Bonsai should be grown outside. Even if its hot.
Thanks Dansai!
Ive got the log on the top of a desk away from the rest of my Bonsai, and I've stopped misting it now trying to stop or reduce the disease. Really hope it doesn't effect the plant so it keeps growing. Is there anything else I can do to save it? Any plant disease medication or pesticide spray for it?
At the moment it is in the same room as my other Bonsai, is it an airborne spread or will they be fine like that during the hot summer? After summer the Bonsai are going back outside in filtered sun.
Kyle GoldCoast
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyle GoldCoast »

1 month later update

Got a heap of new growth and longer shoots and had to give it a trim as the sprouts came from the same area on the log, so trying to reduce the lump action. Think I’m a little bit late as I’m sure aalready present lumps won’t reduce in size.
Anyway I trimmed back to 1 or in some areas 2 shoots. I think having 2 shoots on the end front gives a nice look.

Also an update on the random yellow powder spots. It seemed to be the misting that brought it on, after ceasing the misting it was gone for a while after I trimmed the affected leaves then a couple days of misting brought it back on a few leaves. So no more misting of leaves anymore.

Next week I am doing a little careful wiring on some shoots to give better position before they thicken are turn into hardwood.
IMG_9609.JPG
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9707.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

Looking good Kyle, yours is growing faster than mine. Look up Psyllids in Lillypilly - they are prone to it, but it can be treated. Some varieties are resistant many not.here's a link to some info.
http://www.downesnursery.com.au/syzygium-leaf-psyllid/
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

I am not convinced that the plant is a Lilypilly. In addition, I doubt that the pest/s on the leaves are Psyllids, they look more like a fungal infection; particularly, when you described the substance as resembling pollen.

Roger
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Definitely a Lilly Pilly. I'ld say a Syzygium austral cultivar. And definitely Myrtle Rust, not psyllid.
Kyle GoldCoast wrote: Thanks Dansai!
Ive got the log on the top of a desk away from the rest of my Bonsai, and I've stopped misting it now trying to stop or reduce the disease. Really hope it doesn't effect the plant so it keeps growing. Is there anything else I can do to save it? Any plant disease medication or pesticide spray for it?
At the moment it is in the same room as my other Bonsai, is it an airborne spread or will they be fine like that during the hot summer? After summer the Bonsai are going back outside in filtered sun.
Sorry I missed replying. There are controls for Myrtle Rust. I've never had to use them, but if you do I know of other people that visit the Big Green Shed for it.

Also, your Bonsai should all be outside. Keeping Bonsai inside makes them more susceptible to pests and disease, as well as the low light levels cause growth to be soft and lanky, as evidenced by the new growth on your Lilly Pilly. Yes, even in the hot summer they should be outside. They need direct sun and plenty of fresh air to stay healthy. You just need to ensure they receive enough water.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Kyle GoldCoast
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyle GoldCoast »

I know they need to be outside but at the moment it is way too hot and dry in my area and I know if they go outside for a day with full sun they will certainly die.
They are next to a large glass window and get morning sunlight for several hours and residual ambient light for the rest of the day. Until the weather gets less intense they are staying inside and getting a good water, even two on hot days like today, and a misting every couple of hours.
Everything is still growing well in this situation so don't want to ruin it by putting outside too early. My Serissas are thriving along with my Ficus and my 3 junipers are getting new growth as well. Only 2 azaleas have died on me by doing this and that was because they got too dry one day and then frequent watering caused roots to rot.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”