Need help with styling 2 baobab trees

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
avz10
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Need help with styling 2 baobab trees

Post by avz10 »

Someone gave me these two baobab trees (African Baobab Adansonia digitata) trees. He has had the one since 2009 and the other one since 2014.
20180207_1.jpg
20180207_2.jpg
20180211_3.jpg
It seems to me as if it would be an impossible task to try to style them to look like a baobab? Should I perhaps cut the branches short? (The branches are quite rigid, so I do not think I will be able to change the style much by wiring)
450x260.jpg
Two examples from the internet
Image 7.jpg
kremetart 2.jpg
Any advice will be appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Need help with styling 2 baobab trees

Post by shibui »

I think the natural shape for baobab seems to be what we call 'broom' style - multiple main branches reaching up and out and ramifying into lots of smaller branches. That's what the picture of the mature tree shows.
You already have the start of broom style trees with 3 main branches reaching up and out now you need to concentrate on making them branch even more and the best way to do that is to prune and trim. I think the new growth is probably ready for a trim now. I would cut back to 2 leaves on all strong branches. Any that have not grown much could be left alone to grow a bit more. Your job will be to feed and water well then cut back whenever new shoots get to 4-6 leaves long. You may be able to trim 3 or 4 times each season if they grow well. Once or twice each year you'll need to have a good look and thin out the shoots that are too crowded, cross over or block each other so the tree looks attractive.

I can't see why you would need to wire these. The shape is pretty good already for broom style. I would not be aiming for informal upright for baobab :P
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
avz10
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by avz10 »

Dear Shibui

Thanks for replying. Please see the attached photo.
1-20180217_161650.jpg
Would the line be approximately where I need to cut?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

:tu: It will be a continuous cycle of let shoots grow to about that long (5 or 6 leaves) then cut back to 1 or 2 leaves like where you have put that line.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”