Pot Temperatures

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Pot Temperatures

Post by melbrackstone »

Walter Pall just shared this on fb. Do you think the type of container would make a difference?
crikey.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Pot Temperatures

Post by benbonsai »

I don’t think the type or size would have much of a difference when it comes to bonsai pots. They are so small and any variation wouldn’t bring much change.
Maybe some larger grow pots could insulate better with larger amounts of soil.

Would be an interesting experiment though.
Last edited by benbonsai on May 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Joe.sab »

I think the picture trying to say deference between bonsai in the ground to the pot ( I see it that way maybe I’m wrong :imo: ) and we all know there’s much deference between ground to pot not just on the reflection of the temperature,on oxygen and absorbing water too, but if he’s referring to deference between pots I don’t think there’s much deference
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Maybe those plants that are in pots that are allowed to grow into the ground are the ones that are safest. :)
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mel,
Anyone living in an area of climate extremes and having concerns about the soil temperature could either insulate the pot by wrapping it or placing into styrofoam containers, or using a greenhouse in winter. Unless the pot is standing in full sun for the whole day I would find it hard to believe that the soil warms up to 60 C. If it is an unglazed clay or teracotta pot the evaporating moisture would also help to cool the pot.
Walter Pall has a genuine concern, as should we all have as bonsai growers, with issues of temperature extremes, but being aware of them we can take steps to mitigate these extremes. I have seen on this forum how many growers, including myself have irrigation and misting systems in place which in summer make a great difference to the micro-climate surrounding our trees. Many of the plants that are grown by growers like shibui and Sno in the sub-alpine areas have to endure much lower temperatures in countries other than in Australia. I was in Japan in February and there was a lot of snow with night time temperatures going down to -15 C, and the trees thrive there every year. (See attached pics)
We're fortunate, especially on the coastal fringe where the majority of the population lives that we do not have these kind of extremes. (especially here in QLD) ;)
Cheers,
Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Cheers Frank

I use shade cloth or misting in Summer too, can't see us ever having to deal with snow. :)

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”