Japanese Maple forest.... two into one?

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Japanese Maple forest.... two into one?

Post by MJL »

I am fortunate to have a Japanese maple in my garden that readily produces seedlings.

Each Spring, I harvest the seedlings, cut the tap root and plant in seedling trays.

With some of the offspring, over the last 4 years, I have created these two forests. With the exception of a mature tree in the second set - they are all made from seedlings from my garden. Bonsai’d from birth - so to speak.

This Spring, I am thinking of combining the two into one tray of around 75-80 cm in length. I think each half of the forest in the green tray will sit well either side of the forest in the brown tray - if you get what I mean.

What are you thoughts? One combined forest or keep as two? Or indeed, other thoughts welcome too.
IMG_4021.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4023.JPG
IMG_4024.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Re: Japanese Maple forest.... two into one?

Post by benbonsai »

I feel that if you were to combine all the small ones into one forest, in time you would have a nice forest with a dense feel.
But I think that larger one looks out of place, it’s too big.
Slow and steady wins the race
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

benbonsai wrote:I feel that if you were to combine all the small ones into one forest, in time you would have a nice forest with a dense feel.
But I think that larger one looks out of place, it’s too big.
Yeah - I agree Benbonsai. Re: the larger tree, my initial thinking was along the lines of one ageing parent with its offspring under a watchful gaze ... but it’s always felt out of place.

If I combine, I will either remove it or perhaps add a few older maples to balance the picture and bring a more logical story - a bridge to the age and size gap of the current forest.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Just an update here.

Further to my previous posts and pics, I am going to combine two young forests in spring.

To Benbonsai's earlier point, I have now purchased a few older trees to create more of a logical age progression with the current singular old tree in the group. I have a design that I am working too - so I am making creating some bends into these newer trees so I can introduce them into the forest story when I replant.
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4344.jpg
If the new trees make it all too heavy ... I'll remove them all and just nurture a young forest. I'll see at the time of repotting.

Here's are the two groups - in all their winter nudeness too. You will see I am putting movement in the trucks throughout the forest....I thought long and hard about this. I have seen some great forest with fairly straight trunks - logically, growing to the light. I am trying to put some subtle bends in all the young trunks - my thinking is that they have struggled a little harder to grow to the light. We'll see how it looks in due course.
IMG_4346.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg
Reasonably crud photos I know, but it's cold and rainy outside ... soft, I know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I think you're on the right track putting a couple of older trees into the mix. Combining both trays worth of trees should produce an interesting result too. My biggest problem with the forests I've tried to make is varying the spacing between the trees, and not lining them up... I found it's actually quite difficult to place them so they look random and natural.

Good luck
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks for the encouragement Mel and I fully understand your comment about randomness; it is difficult to ‘design’ a forest but I’ll keep updating photos. Also - I want to settle the forest structure in the next planting so that I can concentrate fully on branching and ramification for the next 30 years!

Also - in another ‘risk’ - the pot I am intending to use will be a custom Murumbung Studios piece ...not oval rather a low profile, slightly offset figure 8 outline - it will contain one forest in two groves if you get what I mean.

As Kramer of Seinfeld might say: “it’s out there, Jerry!”

Fingers crossed.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

That pot sounds fantastic. Love Tracey's work. Looking forward to watching these trees develop!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

melbrackstone wrote:That pot sounds fantastic. Love Tracey's work. Looking forward to watching these trees develop!

Thanks for the affirmation on the pot - I reckon Tracey is ace too. I'll post pictures of prospective pot in due course. Cheers, Mark
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote:You will see I am putting movement in the trucks throughout the forest....I thought long and hard about this. I have seen some great forest with fairly straight trunks - logically, growing to the light. I am trying to put some subtle bends in all the young trunks - my thinking is that they have struggled a little harder to grow to the light. We'll see how it looks in due course.
Hi MJL,
Brave indeed to add movement like that in a forest!
I think I'm about to explain why badly ... but see if you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Harmonising the trunk movement in each tree is important so that the group as a whole has synergy. I feel like each trunk needs to have movement that sympathises with the others around it. I'm not saying your doesn't have that - it's hard to tell from the photo, but I think that by increasing the movement, this group synergy and harmony becomes even more important, and even more difficult to get right.
Good luck with it - I love a gutsy move :yes: Would like to see some more shots from front on if you have a second and your camera is handy.
Before I forget, the usual disclaimer : :imo:
:beer:
Last edited by Ryceman3 on July 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hi Ryceman3,

Thanks for your interest and I think you’re right - but... I’ve made the move now! [SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY] That said, when I repot - I’ll have a chance to fully adjust... and try to harmonise - I’ve just made the exercise harder I guess! And I’ll have movement in the pot to - with a subtle figure 8 outline in the pot design too! What have I done? In the end - if it is a complete balls up - we’ll all have learned a lesson in what not to do!

By the way - rest assured - I am not offended with any comments about my designs; if I was worried - I wouldn’t post pics. And on that subject - here’s a few as requested - now I better walk the dog before dinner with the family.
IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
Gotta get rid of that moss too.

boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi MJL
Having a cup of tea and looking at your forest . Great step in putting some movement into the design. I see several straight sections that really stick out ,according to the photos. Maybe different in the real.
Second top left branch on big tree in pic1.
Second left trunk on pic3.
Hope i am not being to picky but maybe a little movement while you can. Looking forward to seeing the new pot ,sounds great. Cheers John.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

These shots are a better idea of the whole look, I can see it working I think - but you will need to be careful with your placement and alignment when you repot... keep the flow going and I think it could look very cool. That new pot sounds intriguing, looking forward to seeing it all come together. Best of luck! :tu2:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hi All,

An excellent morning bringing two forests into one. I think the result is fantastic... at least in the context of a young Japanese Maple forest progression and for my emerging collection. I took the advice of some folk in this forum and put some movement in the trunks over winter. I also purchased 3 additional slightly more mature maples to ensure the one older tree did not look so odd. Anyway - here’s the result of four hrs work - with my stepdad helping too.

Re:the pot - I had to repot into one of the pots I already owned. My new pot was not ready yet and I wanted to repot now as the maple buds were starting to plump up. The time was right.

I’m stoked but always happy to receive further advice too.

Cheers.
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: MJL,
Looks like you had a fun morning - lotsa trees in that planting :yes: (I'm just gonna ignore the gravel paths though :P )
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote::wave: MJL,
Looks like you had a fun morning - lotsa trees in that planting :yes: (I'm just gonna ignore the gravel paths though :P )
Ha! KC&R - Yes, I did have fun and I thought I may put a few people off with my Penjing style. Please don’t boot me from the forum though. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]Each to their own. All good. Here’s a photo in my starting position from earlier today too.

From this
IMG_4936.JPG
... and here’s a view from the other side too.
IMG_4943.JPG
My hope... two years to knit the new forest roots; forever to clip, grow and ramify. To .... keep calm and ramify.[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I’ll post when in leaf in a month or so too.
IMG_4939.JPG

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”