Beginner needing help

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
jmk88
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Beginner needing help

Post by jmk88 »

Hi
I need some advice
I have 3 Bonsai starter plants and they are starting to get new growth

Do I wait longer for the end of Winter before putying in pots or start now?
I live on the East Coast near Nelson Bay NSW
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I have attached pics
Thanks
Julie
jmk88
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Beginner needing help

Post by jmk88 »

3 starter bonsai
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaady
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Shaady »

I think you switched tags on the first 2 plants. First of all it depends on whether you intend to slip pot into a larger pot to grow (which you can do anytime) or root prune. I can't offer any advice on the gardenia or rhododendron as I don't have any as bonsai, but I do have lots of ficus. Ficus love the heat and I would wait for until spring or summer before pruning or potting down.
Last edited by Shaady on July 11th, 2018, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Agree with Shaady it depends on what you want to do. If you are after a good bonsai with a thick trunk, taper and good ramification then you are looking at a few years and for that option the best thing would be to slip pot into a grow pot or in ground depending on your location and space constraints. In a year or two you can then do some root work and trunk chop to develop the nebari and trunk taper. And in your fourth or fifth year you can think about branching.
If alternatively you are after a starter Bonsai as you see in Bunnings etc. then you can plant direct in a bonsai pot. For this option, wait until warmer temps for the gardenia and fig and just after flowering for the rhododendron (early spring) do some root work to spread the roots out and cut any tap root if it has one. Wiring can be left for another time. Let the plant establish itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Shaady wrote:I think you switched tags on the first 2 plants.
Yep. Pic 2 is a ficus for sure, will grow quick in your area and turn into something in no time given plenty of sun, water and fert throughout the growing season (Spring/summer). A bigger pot or ground growing will help, but don’t move it until the weather warms up a bit. Welcome... :yes:
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

I agree with all of the above IF you want to grow bonsai from this kind of stock. Too often people think that because bonsai are small, they have to get small, young plants to start with. This is setting them back about 5 - 10 years. You are better off choosing a more mature plant with a trunk as thick as your pinky and plenty of branching with a lot of healthy foliage. Yes, figs are great, especially in frost-free areas. For a lot of good advice and help, plus lots of fun, joining a bonsai club is a great option. The Newcastle Bonsai Society is probably closest to you. See http://www.newcastlebonsai.org.au/m/home If driving there is a problem, you might still find out from them if there are bonsai growers closer to your home. See on their website what species of trees they grow.
For online help, Google Bonsai4Me, it's a tops website.

Good luck!

Lisa

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”