What's the best way to treat frost damaged figs?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

What's the best way to treat frost damaged figs?

Post by sheepdawg »

The side of my shade house tore and some of my figs were hit by the frost. The damage isn't too bad, except for a green island that has dropped all its leaves. But the branches are still alive so it should pull through.

Should I go through and remove all the damaged leaves? Fertilise?

Thanks
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Re: What's the best way to treat frost damaged figs?

Post by Paul W »

The leaves will just fall off,I would not fertilise this time of year,wait a month or 2 when the weather gets to about 15 overnight,they are very tough. :imo:
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: What's the best way to treat frost damaged figs?

Post by shibui »

Obviously shift the trees to a more sheltered place first to limit further damage. The cold has not finished yet.
It does not seem to matter whether damaged leaves are removed or left in place so if you don't like the look, take them off. I prefer to leave them in place on the following grounds which may or may not be completely wrong: a- can help protect the remaining tree a little from further damage, b- any remaining green parts will be able to provide some food and energy for the tree. I'll remove any remaining damaged leaves when the tree gets active in spring.
Not sure about Green Island but we suffer regular accidental fig frost damage to figs down here. Many trees have been burnt so the trunks die down to ground level. One of our members has a quite nice clump style fig grown from the regrowth from the stump after one such event so don't throw the trees out until after mid summer, even badly damaged figs have the potential to recover.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tropical”