Two Juniper leaf types

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
bemmbabe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Age: 0

Two Juniper leaf types

Post by bemmbabe »

I have recently purchased a Golden Pfitzer Juniper, my first ever Juniper purchase. There are two different types of foliage on the one plant. There is a short prickly type as well as the softer type. I guess if you have worked with Junipers before you know what I'm talking about. So what do I do. Do both types stay on the plant. Hopefully the photos show the difference between the two types.

Karen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Two Juniper leaf types

Post by shibui »

The scale junipers (this is one of that sort) have prickly juvenile foliage and softer, scaly adult foliage. Your tree still has some of its baby leaves but new growth should be the scale type. Older leaves eventually drop off so eventually the tree will be all scaly foliage.
If these junipers are pruned a bit hard the prickly juvenile leaves will often come back which can be a bit of a pain when trying to style one and keep the adult type foliage.
I can't see the whole tree but my guess is that it has more branches than it needs so you can prune off any needle foliage that's not a vital part of the tree. Other wise, just leave it and over the next couple of years it will gradually be replaced by the scaly adult foliage.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”