Hawthorn still not dormant

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Should my hawthorn be dormant by now? It is still very green and a new bud has also opened on one branch, though it has not had any new growth prior to this for months now. It’s a pink flowering crataegus monogyna. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Hawthorn still not dormant

Post by Matt S »

Hi Beano,

I've had a similar issue with a couple of Hawthorns. One dropped it's leaves back in June and is still dormant (as I'd expect) but two others are now covered in new growth. I've also got a desert ash that is still covered in last year's leaves. In Adelaide we've had a dry, warm winter which seems to have caused a few trees to skip winter.

Does your Hawthorn need repotting? I've never repotted one after it starts shooting so I can't say if it's risky but others may have advice.

Matt.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

I want to repot it because it’s in a ground planted colander. Also I’m changing my mix, the old one wasn’t very good.
Last edited by Beano on August 7th, 2018, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Chinese quince often don't drop leaves but I have found that it is perfectly safe to root prune any time in winter even when they do have leaves. I expect that the same will be true for hawthorn. If the tree was in full growth I would hesitate but,one bud opening will not worry the tree at repotting. I repotted a few shohin sized elms and maples today all with lots of buds just opening and don't expect any issues as a result..
Also plenty of evergreen trees - juniper, pine, azalea, etc are repotted with leaves on and no problems so a few leaves on a hawthorn should not hurt it.
Last edited by shibui on August 7th, 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Ok cool. I just wasn’t sure if I’d just not waited long enough. Would repotting it now then to have it decide it was going to drop leaves after that be harmful?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

If it does drop leaves after repotting it will not hurt the tree. As a deciduous species leaves are probably only supposed to last one season so it is likely that the existing leaves would drop off when new ones grow or soon after, whether you root prune or not.
I have root pruned trident maples and a few other species when in full growth mode just to see what happens. The leaves often go brown and drop but new ones emerge soon after the new roots start to grow. I take that as a sign that trees are far tougher than we give credit for. Remember that is a tree in full growth, not one that is dormant or has just started to bud like yours.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Thank you Shibui and MattS!
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Post by Firecat »

I have (2) Japanese prickly box that have reamained full leaf with the odd leaf yellowing up and falling.
Has done this, well both have for a number of years.. I still root prune, branch prune and pot up all year round with 'no' problems..
.(2) of my red qunce out of (7) always remain full leaf and get chopped often as do the big bushes in the garden..a couple of those remain leafed all year and flower up as normal.
'the times they are a changing' is all. I should mention the quince that stay leafed are air lays from those leafy trees in the garden.

Steve.
Last edited by Firecat on August 10th, 2018, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”