English oak leaf disease

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

English oak leaf disease

Post by Beano »

Hi everyone one. My English oak has tried to leaf out but new buds sprout then wilt. Other leaves that have sprouted and not wilted have some small black spots on the under side. Googling for similar pictures makes me think it might have a fungal infection but I am not sure. The leaves are also small.

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it? I repotted before bud burst because the pot it was in was aesthetically too small but it appeared that the stock may have been an air layer and it is possible I disturbed the roots too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Beano on October 18th, 2018, 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: English oak leaf disease

Post by Watto »

I don't know what it is but I would be giving the plant a hit with rose spray, for pests and fungus.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Thank you Watto. I have a Yates fungus gun, so I sprayed it with that. As you can see, it’s been very wet here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Just spotted an aphid on the new growth so perhaps it is just that. It still seems a weak tree though. All the new buds on that branch are declining.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Finally the new growth is pushing faster and less deformed. Hopefully it will start to thrive now and replace the dieback. I would have thought with the dieback it would push something from the trunk but no. It must be unhappy.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Beano, Those old leaves look like the tree may be suffering from iron deficiency. To counter that water in a little iron chelate. Just my :2c: .
Cheers, Frank
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

English oak leaf disease

Post by Beano »

Thanks Raging, I did that earlier in the week. They were fine at first except the black spots, then got the chlorosis. But the new leaves have stopped shrivelling so that something.

I was trialling a more inorganic mix for my trees and have put this in 60:40 pumice:potting mix. It still drains crappily so I suspect there are too many fines in the mix. Also I think I saw treeman say somewhere on the forum that oak roots have a relationship with microbes in the soil so need organic soil mixes? So I think I have multiple problems here potentially - poor drainage with root problems, nutrient deficiency and fungus.

It started to turn around after I got the Rose Gun spray and started watering less.
Last edited by Beano on November 4th, 2018, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”