Azalea - Progression

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Azalea - Progression

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Guys

Growing a plant nursery stick in the ground by removing the bottom of the can so bottom roots can escape and help speed up the growing process, but keeping the root ball tight so easier for lifting and less stress to the tree, this helps for quicker recovery and we can squeeze more plants closer together in a smaller growing bed.

When growing this way we must wire and cut for direction down low which will pay dividends later when we pull, just let the top go, only remove up top if you inverse taper could be an issue, this method we can up to larger size can every couple of years, I only upgraded on most once over the few years in the bed, no spring rooster here so time move them along, but if your in know hurry time will help you even more.

The Azalea is Evonne Goolagong
phpLoGc3LPM.jpg
phpA82dDsPM.jpg
phpTi2E9gPM.jpg
phpiklduJPM.jpg[/attachment [attachment=2]phpECcuM0PM.jpg
phpEr0K7jAM.jpg
The red arrow pointing to a very handy and much needed shoot/branch to balance the tree

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on November 7th, 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Azalea - Progression

Post by Boics »

Lovely little tree and I'm sure this will look great in flower now.
How long is this progression?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice result :yes:
Nice taper and movement.

Yes how long was it in the ground for?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

this method we can up to larger size can every couple of years, I only upgraded on most once over the few years in the bed, no spring rooster here so time move them along, but if your in know hurry time will help you even more.

According to that I would say Anthony had it in ground 3 years ?, maybe a bit more.
Not sure what roosters in spring are about but my money is on 4 to 5 years total
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Cheers Boics, Ken, Rob.

Very good Rob, yes a solid four years in the ground, no spring rooster is me mate, born in the sixties :crikey: haha

In the pot, one year and seven days but who is counting :) , don t disturb the root ball as such and these plants grow like wild fire, as Ken has mentioned in a few azalea threads, in my opinion azaleas would give a healthy fig a good run for its money.
phphxY8DjAM.jpg

Earlier image
phpho5afZAM.jpg
Sorry its grainy, but image of a image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on November 8th, 2018, 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

I’m super surprised at such good trunk growth/girth over that time period, great work and makes me want to go and plant a few more Azaleas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Cheers Angus

Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Getting some more handy grow, a lot of the time my azaleas are just coat hangers for beautiful flowers, but just some times we get a bonsai style spin... sometimes ?

Little more right hand growth to balance needed I feel, not anticipating much flower this season as I have fiddled a bit after the end of January, the cut off for me.....but we have to get the tree all but first...cheers
phpRnoDtxAM.jpg
phpvo8T1eAM.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Nice progression AnthonyW and a very healthy azalea indeed.

I have a garden full of azaleas (and the founders of the YVBS have some staggering brilliant Azalea Bonsai - breath-taking) and then there the Satsuki group at Trevors... so it's not like I don't have help around! Yet, I don't yet seem to find success with Azalea as Bonsai; my current thinking is that I kill them with love - the few bonsai that I have tried and started to like have died. There went from really healthy of black leaves and dead so quickly. My feeling when I investigated was that they were too wet!

Cheers, for the thread - making me think I should have another crack, there are a few in pot that I am thinking of transferring. Not Satsuki's unfortunately but relatively small leaves and lively flowers nonetheless.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks Mark for your kind words.

Stick with them Mark, have you tried the indica/hybrid varieties as most of these that I put up are, I find them very strong growers and forgiving, yes you do get the bigger leaf but with a
slightly bigger tree we balance that problem and remove the bigger rogue leaf here and there to even out the tree, of course watering is the key, then positioning but they do adapt there as I m way 12 hrs and travel with work they hang in there, alot over water when playing with them, most azaleas flag/droop when screaming for water as long as you get the water to them that day your tree will pop back up, now knowing this you can get a feel for watering in pot culture......just don t make habit of the latter learning, you never know where a vegan greenie is stalking Hmmm.... haha

Which part are you struggling with?

Cheers Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

As you can see this tree has progressed very fast to this stage, the autumn we didn t have has impacted on the tree with a pay load of flowers coming a good two mths earlier at the very least, crazy weather...here is the first flower...as I played with this tree shaping well past the cut off date of end of January and all these flowers coming I m confused too...but as they say just enjoy never mine the timing, yes a big flower but a beauty...cheers

Sorry the site is not allowing me to put a image up (the upload attachment is broken)

Anthony
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Tanks for the update anthony and we will look into the upload image issue

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

cheers Ken and a great appreciation and work you and team do to keep the site running...a big thank you to you guys.

Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

A couple more have opened with a few more buds waiting their turn....cheers
phpjAEliMAM.jpg
phpdRp544AM.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Very good progression. Anthony, I am sorry that I did not reply to your earlier question; "What part are you struggling with?"

In truth, I think it is water.

I grow many azaleas in my garden and they flower profusely under dappled light. I have killed numerous in bonsai - one beautiful cascade and indeed, two of these three died too. See below.
IMG_5155.jpg
I believe I have unwittingly kept them too wet; when I have checked - the soil was waterlogged, black roots and leaves turn brown and die - almost overnight. Cactus. So the soil that I am suing for nearly every other bonsai is too wet.

I also understand that Azaleas thrive in more acid soil and mine (in the garden) love their dead flowers placed under them and indeed, general leaf matter.

So... I think I struggle with water mate - that's my theory ... and now I am a little gun shy of these beautiful plants.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”