Cedar for a Beginner

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Cedar for a Beginner

Post by one_bonsai »

I'm a beginner and really like Cedars. Are they too difficult for a beginner? Looking at a Cedar atlantica or deodar.
Last edited by one_bonsai on December 3rd, 2018, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Re: Cedar for a Beginner

Post by Jiro »

Hi mate,

I don't have any experience with cedars but I do know they aren't considered an easy tree to style for beginners, oh and they grow very slowly. By all means jump in the deep end if you're up for it just do your research. The link below is very basic info.

I reckon you should start with a juniper (squamata) or ficus (port jackson) as they aren't overtly difficult.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi one_bonsai , mate cedars in my opinion are as easy as pines they just take longer to develop .A purpose grown plant will have all the framework done be it cascade or informal upright .They are slower growers but can elongate 150-200mm per year which in itself is not real slow .
I have both Atlas - Cedrus Atlantica and Deodar - Cedrus Deodara here at various stages of development from seedlings and they are a great tree for beginners as they do take a long time . This gives you a tree for the future while toying around with easier species .

There are plenty of topics here on cedars but in my opinion don't buy a legging nursery stock tree unless its very small as they dont back bud and will remain a sparse tree for ever and a day . A tube stock cedar will produce a better future bonsai than a garden nursery tree as the movement and framework can be set early in development ,

Scars and wire marks are extremely slow to heal hence a tube stock would be my preference or a semi developed trainer .

Cheers . Alpineart
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Rustyck »

One cedar, I’m new myself and started with a cedar.
The slow growth is trunk thickening, as alpine mentioned it still does extend and branches do grow and pop which is exciting.
And I’ve done exactly what alpine said, let it grow whilst experimenting on others...

Just be careful, you will probably become like me and you will have to change your name.

Haha enjoy the ride, and the info from the members here is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

As stated they are slow, but they are not difficult to look after. You will need to wire early and watch that the wire does not cut in. Remove wire before that happens then you will need to reapply wire in the opposite direction. Ie if your first application of wire you applied it clock wise next time apply it anti clock wise. You will need to keep doing this until require shape has set. If not set they will just straighten out so to speak. That is why they are considered slow to grow and slow to set into a style. If you are prepared to put in the time the end results are worth it.
Cheers
Kirky.
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

This is the one I was thinking about.
alpineart wrote:A tube stock cedar will produce a better future bonsai than a garden nursery tree as the movement and framework can be set early in development ,

So get a tube stock and just put into a larger pot or in the ground?
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

I was looking at this cedar.
Cedar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

That’s fine to work on, decide what style you want and wire accordingly. The trunk is not too thick so you should be able to bend/twist to your desired style. Also when bending/twisting take it past the desired style, because once you remove the wire it will relax and straighten a bit as it grows. Watch out for wire cutting in. As I previously advised the wire on, off, on, process for these to set will takes a long time not measured in weeks or months. But years. Wire trunk and branches at the same time to the style you intend to have.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

The leaves of the above Cedar are very long. Does it lake a long time for the leaves to become smaller?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The cedar you have chosen is a Deodar. They do have naturally longer leaves. Leaves may get a little more compact as the tree gets a lot more shoots but that does take many years. Even after nearly 40 years my deoadar still has quite long needles. Best to grow these as larger trees to match the long leaves.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

[quote="alpineart"] A tube stock cedar will produce a better future bonsai than a garden nursery tree

Any hints on where I could get some tubes of the cedrus glauca? Not common around my nurseries.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi mate , Glauca is a hard one to find at the best of times .Most good nurseries carry a variety of stock and it rotates during the year . Peards in Wodonga have Deodara and Atlantica at various times of the year all their tubes stock varies from month to month .

If you head off to a larger nursery and enquire if they can get them or know another bussiness that carries this type of stock be it tube or coniferous . Most bussinesses are quite helpful in this area and will assist if they can .

Cheers . Alpine

Return to “Evergreen”