Identify and help

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
AndrewAustralia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 4

Identify and help

Post by AndrewAustralia »

Hi All,

See below an image of a bonsai I recently adopted. Unfortunately in the last week or so it has started to turn a very ugly brown.

Does anybody know the species?

As well, does anyone know the cause of the brown perhaps?

Watering is regular, but not too often they the soil is always soaking. It gets morning sun to very early afternoon perhaps. Recently sprayed with a thrips spray as other plants nearby had it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Identify and help

Post by KIRKY »

Looks possibly like a Cotoneaster? When you say recently adopted, where was it kept before. The leaves to me look more sun burnt as there is no curling To indicate insect. Also how wet is wet could be too much water. If a Cotoneaster they like to dry out a bit. Has it been recently fertilised if so with what? I’m sure others here will have more info.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

I agree with Kirky on all points. It could be one of those mass produced little bonsai sold by some garden centres or hardware stores.

Lisa
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

I thought Serissa foetida. But not sure
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

I think Cotoneaster may be correct. The potting medium should be well draining.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with cotoneaster as the plant family but the leaves are a bit damaged to identify the species at the moment.
Also agree about the burnt leaves being lack of water. That is common at this time of year.
Andrew says he waters 'regularly but not too often'. How often is regular for you? I water small pots twice every day at this time of year. For really small pots even twice a day is not enough so my smaller pots sit on a gravel tray that holds water and keeps the pots hydrated through until the afternoon watering.
Some other watering points: If the mix gets a bit dry it is hard to get it wet again. You may water but most just runs through and the plant starts the next day only very slightly damp so then dries out even more. Watering needs to be effective as well as regular. When I water in summer I water each pot 2 or 3 times. The first time the water soaks into the outer layers only. Second watering a few minutes later soaks in further and hopefully reaches the centre of the pot. Best to soak dry pots in a tub so the mix gets properly wet again. Even if the pots look wet in the morning I water again because that water gets right into the middle of the pot and gives the tree a reserve to last the whole day.
Cotoneaster are pretty resilient. If you start giving this one proper care it will sprout new shoots fairly quickly. I can see some very long shoots that probably should be cut back now and that will also remove many of the burnt leaves and make it look a bit better.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndrewAustralia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by AndrewAustralia »

Thanks all for the responses.

By adopted it, I bought it at a bonsai farm because it was a bit different. I only have junipers and maples so figured I'd get something else as a learning curve and challenge.

It was fertilised a few days ago with Nitrosol, I've been using this for months on it so I don't think it's that.

It perhaps gets too much sun, there is no place for filtered sun at my house, just areas for morning sun and then full shade which is where I have moved it maybe 5-6 days ago.

I water once a day, or sometimes every 2 days depending on how hot it is and whether it rains. For example it's pretty much 30-32 this weekend which means I am watering daily.

Do you suggest cutting or pruning off the damaged leaves?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

A change from part sun to full sun often burns the leaves. Those leaves are adjusted to part shade and cannot cope with full, hot sun. When new leaves grow they should be OK with full sun.
I think this is probably like us going in full sun after winter - sure chance for severe sunburn but later in summer when your skin is adjusted you can tolerate longer periods of sun with less chance of sunburn.
I don't think once a day watering is enough for trees in small pots in full sun in mid summer but maybe a cotoneaster will manage as they are quite tough.

It does not seem to matter (to the tree) whether the burnt leaves are left (many will just fall off when new ones grow) or whether you cut them off (new leaves will still grow) but the plant definitely looks better to us after trimming damaged leaves. I'll leave the choice up to you.

You should be able to leave the tree in full sun if you manage watering a bit better. New leaves that grow in full sun will be hardy and cope with the conditions as long as they have access to adequate water at all times.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”