CD/DVD under the roots

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

CD/DVD under the roots

Post by bonsaeen »

HI All,

I recall there was a thread about using old CD/DVD and placing them under roots so roots grow flat but can't find the exact thread right now but it has definitely been mentioned in multiple threads before. Anyway, I used an old DVD with a native recently and its not looking too good. I suspect the disk is somehow causing more water retention but may be I am wrong. I have a few questions:

1. Do you think placing DVD under roots can cause such a problem?

2. Should this be done with younger plants like tubestock?

3. Also, what other material can I use as I don't have many DVDs and the last one I used was my PS4 Fifa 11 lol.

Thanks
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: CD/DVD under the roots

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Bonsaeen,
I've got CD's under several of my pre-bonsai trees and have had no problems with them. Could your soil mix be the problem if it doesn't drain well? Have you taken the tree out and had a look at the roots? Is there room between the disc and the pot sides for water to drain?
If you run out of old CD's buy some blank unrecorded ones at Office works or Kmart, they're quite cheap.
Final question.... maybe your trees prefer X-Box or some good music? ;)
Cheers, Frank.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I also don't think the CD itself should be causing problems.
There are many 'natives'. Maybe it is just a species that doesn't like root disturbance much? Or heat? or something else? What species is it? Possibly the mix as RB said. Maybe water cannot penetrate under the plastic properly so the pot is not getting enough water? Look for other possible causes for the problem.

Personally I don't think CDs make much difference under the roots of trees for bonsai. When I used CDs under trident maples the roots just squeezed the plastic and broke it as they thickened. With most trees simple pruning and placement of roots is just as effective but many people love to make things more difficult and involved.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Bonsaeen,

I don’t use the technique myself but I know it is broadly used. As I don’t apply the technique, I won’t talk to the process - I will however make an observation on nebari and root spread in general.

Personally - I don’t like the aesthetic of an old bonsai tree with a massive and flat root spread - almost like the trunk has melted into the immediate surrounds. I should also point out that this is subjective/personal and many, many folk would pay a small fortune for such trees.

For me, the nebari is more attractive and somewhat more realistic when the roots grip the soil in a more convex fashion ... what does this mean in practice - sure spread the roots and use whatever technique you prefer but take care that the result doesn’t look manufactured if you get what I mean.

Again - my normal caveat applies. I’m not the sage in these parts - I’m relatively new to this sport so please listen to others that will have more experience and greater insight.

Cheers,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Steven wrote a comprehensive post on developing stock

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20154

I've used cut up pots, tin, plastic...whatever is available at the time... no noticeable drainage problems.
Last edited by melbrackstone on January 11th, 2019, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks all. I think it might be the mix I am using. See i have not done my own mix before and this is the first time i tried. I used

4 scoops of Pumice
3 scoops of Zeolite
1 scoop pine bark
1 scoop perlite
1 scoop coco peat

Why I used these quantities, well I don't know I just tried I guess. Pretty much all the natives are in this mix now. I have since reduced the coco to half a scoop thinking may be that is causing the problem. What I am worried about now is come winter and we have lots of rain hopefully, then these will be water logged at all times :(
Last edited by bonsaeen on January 11th, 2019, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

bonsaeen wrote: 4 scoops of Pumice
3 scoops of Zeolite
1 scoop pine bark
1 scoop perlite
1 scoop coco peat
Sounds like a pretty decent ratio of elements for a reasonably well draining mix... :lost:
Lots of natives tend to like things a bit moister than you might think. I had the notion when I began with them that, being native they would require less water/resources. In many cases I have found the truth to be the opposite!

I have also found that a lot of the natives I have worked with don’t appreciate the same kind of root work that you can get away with on exotic species. I’m wondering if some of the problems you seem to be experiencing may be due to the work done on the roots? I don’t know exactly which species you’re working with or how hard you worked them below the soil, but maybe something for you to consider?!
Good luck!
:beer:

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”