Ficus Salicifolia

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Ficus Salicifolia

Post by melbrackstone »

lol, I scrolled up to see earlier iterations, and saw that comment and thought, wow, how bold a statement was that? I really do love the shape you have it in now though, so I'm glad to be of help! *gulp*
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Our little tree with some good growth and health, will be more defined in spring, taking some good welcoming rain with its winter coat ready for the cold and wind to come.

With a pot to come cheers
phpIRjLr1AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Looking good!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

cheers Boics...I find the species great to work with for small to medium trees...grows quite fast and the leaf size most appropriate for these sizes.

this next tree started from a cutting and only got serious with it the last couple of seasons...one of those pre starters thats sits up back waiting its turn,... once i seen the left low shoot, then my plan was hatched :)

Stands about 9 1/2 inches with its winter coat and will of course be refined in spring and hopefully a nice pot to come ...cheers
phpS52igNPM.jpg
php5mvbhjPM.jpg
phpIBorm2AM.jpg
php8VAf1OPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

You're really showing off now Anthony. :)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Classy little trees Anthony. Whenever I see Willow Leaf Figs; I prefer them to others variants -attractive leaves and as you’re showing here, the speed of growth makes them cool to play around with too. Hard to find down here and given the speed of growth - probably one of prefer to start from cutting or seedling anyway. Thanks for the thread. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

cheers Mel :)

Yes great material to work with Mark, another thing with this material I do not defoliate this species, it will lose a few leaves over the course of winter and then replace at will come spring, then the rest will drop at will shortly after as the heat comes and be quickly replaced, obviously if I want a area to slow down I will take charge by removing other than thst i simply trim to shape.

That is why health and well insulated (many leaves come start of winter) is the key...Just quoting the obvious but very important..play strong..rest strong

cheers Mark, Mel appreciate your interest

Anthony
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

That's good info there Anthony, ta. I have a LOT of these plants, but never seem to be able to keep them ramifying enough, they all just want to either grow 6 new branches from each junction and get heavily overcrowded, or end up leggy and weak... Will attempt to confront this problem over the next growing season. :)

Your efforts help spur me on.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Mel just wondering, I noticed you are in two clubs if some one that specializes abit with figs especially with this species could help you.

You can always take pic of the area and show us might be able to help, but as we know always difficult when not in person, shame i m so far away.

Up to you, or as said experiment again, they are very durable and let us know how you go...cheers
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks Anthony, I have had help from more experienced people who tell me to thin out the multiples to stop the branches thickening in the wrong places, and I've wired and fed and pruned etc, according to directions, but always seem to either have a skinny looking sad result, or an overblown heavy over-foliaged result, (before thinning,) with nothing ever being just right. I believe it might be that they grow SO fast here, that I'm not giving them enough constant trimming...

I'll take some photos of the ones I have concerns about and post them in a separate thread. You might be able to see where I'm going wrong... It might just be that I have too many trees and not enough time to give them the attention they deserve....
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

This little one was brought in from the much needed rain today with its winter coat just knocking out its silhouette slightly, needs just little bit more growth low right I think.

Stands little bit shy of 6 1/2 inches,

Early image march 2017 with its structure...looked like a soldier crab with a weird hairdo...

cheers Anthony
phppAesADAM.jpg
phpIH3P2sAM.jpg
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Anthony,
Great work as usual and quick to. A quick question in regards to this species. I always seem to get a yellowing of leaves over winter. I try and give them the most sun but space is limited at this time of year , even have a load of cuttings on a tin carport roof at the moment but they are suffering.
Cheers John.
Last edited by boom64 on June 18th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Hi John..nothing to worry there with yellow leaves dropping that is quite normal for this species over winter, they usually start on a lot of the inner branches and then some on the tops of trees that get belted by the wind and bitter cold, they are the old and worn out leaves and where they are the weakest..I lose quite a lot some years, but come spring or about the rest fall and are quickly replaced when the heat comes.

As for cuttings they are quite weak most times (quality of root mass and number of leaves) and don t have much substance about so same deal and most leaves fall sometimes...so protect more, chase the sun and moderate the water (keep drier as not watering as often).

What you must not do is over head water in winter, you will lose the lot quite quickly especially when the night/early morning temps fall and don t rise much the next day.

They are very resilient John no need to worry...hope that helps...cheers Anthony
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Thanks for the info Anthony ,I will stop spraying the roof aimlessly in the hope some hits the right spot... :lol: .Cheers John.

Return to “Shohin”