juniper procumbens

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

juniper procumbens

Post by anttal63 »

some more for you, this tree was styled at a hiro saito workshop. if anyone ever gets the chance to do his workshops they are a must in your bonsai education. they dont get much better than that. :D
260120092370.jpg
260120092369.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: juniper procumbens

Post by PeterW »

Yeah.......dont know Ant. I like the two trunks movement and scale together but the branching needs some thinning out. Too many crossing over branches or maybe there is a reason for this (Trunk thickening maybe). Thanks for posting it.
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

PeterW wrote:Yeah.......dont know Ant. I like the two trunks movement and scale together but the branching needs some thinning out. Too many crossing over branches or maybe there is a reason for this (Trunk thickening maybe). Thanks for posting it.
Peter
Looking at the drawing, it looks like there need to be branches removed that are growing into the second trunk. Once that's done it should look cleaner.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Ah..yes i see....i should have looked at that first!
Peter
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I'm not sure if I like it as a twin trunk. The main trunk has such lovely movement and with the development of the branches would be very striking. At this stage I would be wiring the lower right branch down a bit but I just feel that a single trunk emphasises the movement more than twin. And yet, it must be considered that the tree is young yet and once there is more thickening the twin could work very well.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

I think the reason it is not working as a twin trunk too well is there is not enough meat under the second trunk to give it support, its really only a branch not another trunk, the sketch actually shows the second trunk with the neccasary extra trunk girth required for support to make it convincing as another trunk, I'm not too keen on the wiring of the the second trunk either, starts off too straight then does a sudden turn, anyway I've done a virt to show you what I mean, the branch wiring would be easily fixed but I don't know how you could correct the lack of girth on the trunk needed to support the second trunk, still a nice enough little tree anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Yes, I agree Ozzy but I think that that thickness will come in time. I also think that the bends in the Daughter trunk should emulate the parent trunk along with some branch removal and then I feel that this tree is going somewhere.

Jon
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

ladies and gentlemen again i have no idea who this tree belongs to. it was on the table the other night at a club meeting and i thought it was fair game. i personally like this tree very much but if it were mine i would have had it in grow box and let it run for a year or two. but as all of you have stated it is young and in time with farther developement it should come up trumps. it is good to share these opinions and learn from each other. i hope the owner doesn't mind. :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”