Juniper rash

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Juniper rash

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Recently I have been working with a few varieties of juniper, and have found that after pinching out some of the needles I have developed a rash along my arms. Since it flared up a few weeks ago it has appeared on my feet as well, and I ended up going into the doctor because it just hasn't gone away. I have had to stop working with them for the time being until this rash clears up :(
Has anyone else suffered skin irritation after handling junipers? Is this something that happens quite often and I just never knew about it?

James
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Re: Juniper rash

Post by Japh »

Hey James, after a quick search around the internet it appears to be fairly well documented that juniper bushes can cause irritation of your skin and eyes, and apparently prolonged exposure to juniper oil can have a negative effect on kidney function too! :O

One how-to article I found on juniper care includes this warning:
Wear a long-sleeved shirt when working around juniper shrubs, as their needles can cause skin irritation.
I also found an article on the use of juniper oil in treating skin conditions, which recommended using it mixed with sweet almond oil to prevent irritation... so you could try slathering up in sweet almond oil too ;)
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Amur Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Emoska »

Wow, that sounds pretty full-on... I hope the rash is improving a little now...

I just did a quick search over google and it seems that various people report contact rashes from handling junipers. I went to wikipedia, and while not the most reliable source of information, they report that the pollen and contact with leaves and bark of some species seems to be a mild allergen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_virginiana (at the bottom)
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Thanks for the replies!
I did try a search myself on google and such, but wasn't as successful as you seem to have been. My itching has been driving everyone crazy, although since I have stopped touching these plants it has calmed down a bit. I might try that almond oil. Smelling sweet may be a way of redeeming myself after constant itching that has kept my girlfriend awake for nights on end 8-) She may even let me start work on them again..
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

Good luck! Let us know how you go, as I'm sure others would also appreciate knowing what works with regard to stopping a reaction when dealing with junipers :)
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

After working for many years with Black Pine John Naka had to wear long gloves to protect his hands and arms from the prickle.

So it isn't just Junipers.

It comes down to genetics and what you are allergic to or after repeated exposure build up to a threshold where you become allergic.

Grant
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Some bottle brushes, grevillea and some other natives irritate my skin, It comes on late at night. I get a rageing itch that i cannot stop scratching. :cry: :cry: :cry: The only thing to sooth it down is hot compresses. :D I found that out by mistake after washing off lotions that didnt work .Then as soon as i applyed a wash cloth & hot water, It was instantly soothed. I use heat pads now when it flares up. I use to wonder why every time i visited the forest nursery,on the same night i would break out itching, Took me a long time to find out. But Still cant find any other cure. Any ideas. :?:
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day James, I have just been over onto two other forums and posed your question for you. The reason being is the have a very wide coverage of the world of Bonsai.
with a large membership. So maybe someone has experienced, the same as you are. Thus helping in how they treated it, other than the obvious of stopping work with the said genera.

So let us hope we can help you, you poor bugger :shake: :fc:

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Pup wrote:G,day James, I have just been over onto two other forums and posed your question for you. The reason being is the have a very wide coverage of the world of Bonsai.
with a large membership. So maybe someone has experienced, the same as you are. Thus helping in how they treated it, other than the obvious of stopping work with the said genera.

So let us hope we can help you, you poor bugger :shake: :fc:

Cheers Pup
Thanks for that. I will do nearly anything to continue working on these..just when I have the time to start I get these rashes :shake: I think in the future long gloves and a long sleeve shirt are the answer, but it would be good to get some feedback on how to deal with an outbreak.

Petra: Sounds like you have experienced something similar. However when the rash is heated on my skin it tends to get worse rather than better, and the doctor stressed not to take hot showers :lost: I'm glad its not winter!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Two suggestions so far, one is for Cortisone, the other by what you have said your doctor is treating you with anti histamine cream. Another on the other site to wear surgical gloves,

I will keep going for a look see. In case some one has a positive solution that will help.

Cheers Pup

Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Thanks Pup. I think long term the gloves and long sleeves are the way to go.
Cheers :beer:
dragon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by dragon »

:gday: all i got the best solution to there rash and to prevent them getting them again :tu: give me the junipers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
then you wont get rash from them :twisted: but honestly the realy only way not to get rash is long sleves surgical gloves and dont let the juniper
touch the skin
:aussie: dean
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

James,
I too suffer from a rash when I work with junipers. Probably why I like decidious trees best! I have found great relief in using Aloe Vera Gel (or cream) which is available from the Health Stores.
Good luck with it.
Watto
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

I have just been told that a Hydro-cortozone cream in a OTC version. Should help to clean up and reduce the rash's itchy ness.

Just another to try :!:

Cheers Pup

Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

I was prescribed 'aristocort' and its not doing all that much to sooth the itching. University starts again on the 21st, so next week is my last chance to work on this juniper before I am bombarded with essays and such like, so gloves, long sleeves and recommended ointments will have to do :fc:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”