Shibui winter seedling sale

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Shibui winter seedling sale

Post by shibui »

It's on again this year.
Trident maple and Japanese maple seedlings sent bare root only until the leaves start to come out again.

I've lifted prices from last couple of years as it wasn't worth collecting small tridents for 50c each.
Note that these are all feral seedlings so no root work has been done and usually no pruning. Some seedlings have good roots , others have little more than a tap root but being maples they still grow given half a chance.

Trident maple:
small (up to 3mm trunk thickness) $1 each
Medium (3-6mm trunk thickness) $2 each
Large (6-10 mm thick) $5
There's also some larger ones at $10, $15 and a few even thicker.
Long roots to suit ROR starters $5 each

Forest packs (20 tridents assorted sizes suit group planting) $30 per pack

Japanese maples are slower to grow and there's less of them in the gardens so they're a bit dearer than tridents.
small $2
medium $5 each
no larger JM.

Fresh maple seed: 10 seeds $3, 20 seeds $5 + $3 post. 50 seeds $10 and 100 seeds $20. Free post for seed orders over $10

It's often worth letting me know what you plan to do with the seedlings because I may be able to find trees that suit .

email requests to neil@shibuibonsai.com.au Tell me what you want and your location so I can calculate post prices - depends on size, weight and destination.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Re: Shibui winter seedling sale

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Further to legoman_iac's post on last years Shibui sale, I thought I'd drop my starting posts here for on the various projects underway.

Firstly I have both a JM and Trident clump....
JM Clump.jpg
Trident Clump.jpg
Both are my first attempts at the style. For the moment I've attached a zip tie to the trident clump to keep it together until it fusses but think I'm going to need something not as strong? ie it needs to be tight but not that tight? The zip tie is over grafting tape.

A separate larger trident...

We'll see what we can make of it.
Trident.jpg
I've put a tourniquet on it. In taking the picture, I realise I need to put some more soil above the tourniquet.

And a forest planting...
Forest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
No idea what I am doing…
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Small Japanese maples are getting hard to find now but I still have some medium size JM for those who want them.

Still plenty of Tridents, especially smaller size.
CH070170.JPG
CH070171.JPG
CH070173.JPG
CH070174.JPG
CH070175.JPG
CH070176.JPG
CH070177.JPG
CH070178.JPG
CH070179.JPG
You can choose individual priced larger tridents if you wish. Just ask to see the range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

:yes: :tu: :hooray:

Cannot seem to "like" all these posts ... such a great resource for anyone wanting to experiment, or start at any stage. I've tried the seedlings, the XL and XXL, all great material AND great pricing (and shipping).

Great to see your fusion trunks BonsaiBobbie! Keep us posted!

- Daniel
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

legoman_iac wrote: August 7th, 2022, 9:09 pm :yes: :tu: :hooray:

Cannot seem to "like" all these posts ... such a great resource for anyone wanting to experiment, or start at any stage. I've tried the seedlings, the XL and XXL, all great material AND great pricing (and shipping).

Great to see your fusion trunks BonsaiBobbie! Keep us posted!

- Daniel
I see what you mean. The like function has disappeared.

Will let you know how things go.

Spring has definitely sprung here and my tridents are pushing new leaves already and I am back to daily watering. Not sure I am ready for that!
--
No idea what I am doing…
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Winter is here and so is the Shibui Bonsai winter seedling sale.
Same deal and same prices as last year except I haven't found any good long root tridents for ROR yet. I would suggest getting some small seedlings, trim the existing roots hard and plant them in tall pots or boxes for a year to get good roots to work with next winter.

Due to a few seedlings in a garden bed last summer I do have more XL and XXL trident seedlings this time. Very little trunk taper, a relatively large chop and roots as they come but some of you may like to take a couple on to trial different techniques.

emailneil@shibuibonsai.com.au to let me know what you would like or to discuss options. Remember the more info you give me about what you intend the better I can select trees for your needs.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Just received my shibui package!!! Bundles for trident forest plantings and some crab apples!!! Thanks Neil, as always, great products, service and pricing!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Now the rain has stopped for a few days the ground is drying out enough to resume digging. This weekend I tackled some more of the larger garden tridents.
CH141471.JPG
IMG_0574c.jpg
The thicker roots make digging a bit more effort and time consuming but I eventually get them up.

Roots are then reduced for easier handling, storage and packing.
IMG_0578c.jpg
IMG_0579c.jpg
IMG_0580c.jpg
IMG_0582c.jpg
Note how short I've cut those roots. That's a bit frightening for newer growers but I've found that 99% of new roots grow from the cut ends of roots. If roots are cut longer all the new roots will be way out from the trunk which makes it harder to get your trees into a bonsai pot when the time comes. Cutting roots this short does not compromise the trees and I expect them all to survive and grow strongly in spring and we will have masses of new roots close to the trunk as a result.

Trunks are chopped to around 40-50 cm tall. Some may be useful in group plantings at this height but I expect many buyers will chop much lower to develop trunks with better taper in a few years.

CH221518.JPG
XL sized tridents $10 - $15 each.
CH221522.JPG
A few of these larger tridents have branching.$20 for XL trunks with branches and good roots like this one.
CH221520.JPG
There are a few with natural low bends in the trunks. Same price as above but make sure you specify bends when you ask. I assume straight trunks unless people specifically ask for bends.
CH221515.JPG
XXL trunks with better nebari attract a premium. Expect to pay $30 for a trunk with roots like this.
CH221513.JPG
Some have forks in the trunks which gives a natural spot to trunk chop for additional taper and trunk bends. Great nebari and a well placed fork $30 each while they last.

These larger trunks are also heavier and take up more space in the posting boxes. Post prices are calculated on individual orders but expect to pay a little more for delivery when purchasing these larger trunks.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Do you need more roots on a trident maple?
Approach graft can add extra roots where you want them.
I've been putting aside seedlings with a bend where roots join trunks. These are just right to approach graft to the base of any trident maple. Only $1 each for seedlings with L bends + delivery cost.
CH231569.JPG

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”