Posting trees interstate

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: 0

Posting trees interstate

Post by IS2SXC »

Hey guys i was just wondering the details of sending a tree from sydney to nth queensland. Is it possible? And is it possible for an african olive.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Posting trees interstate

Post by TimS »

Short answer is yes it can be done.

Long answer is you will need to contact the Queensland Department of Quarantine (or whatever the government agency that handles interstate plant material movement) to find out what their conditions are for the entry of African Olive from NSW. Generally speaking it’s likely to involve a specific chemical treatment(s), usually insecticides, to prevent movement if pests. It may also include a fungicide treatment. I wouldn’t expect any kind of Quarantine period to be required.

It’s dependent upon plant species what process needs to be followed, so there could be stringent rules or relaxed rules to follow.

If it needs a chemical treatment, the exact chemical spray I can’t help you with because the spraying legislation is different in VIC and NSW. I believe that no off-label spraying is permitted in NSW, whereas it is in VIC. What this means is the label dictates in NSW what it can be used on and for (ie for tomato against aphid) whereas in this scenario in VIC, we could use a product that works on aphid even if the label doesn’t specifically mention tomato crops.

From the little experience I have from Victoria, the legislated chemical treatment is all that is required for plant material moving from VIC to QLD. It may need to go through government facilities for the sprays, that would be for you to find out with the QLD department of quarantine because those costs start adding up very quickly.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by IS2SXC »

Thank u for ur quick response
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by tgooboon »

I believe there is no restriction in qld, nsw, vic. I have heard of issues with sending to wa, but I have no experience with wa
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

WA and Tas have very strict quarantine so most plants cannot be taken to those states from the East.
QLD does have plant quarantine but it does not seem to be enforced so plants seem to be able to travel north by mail without inspection or treatment.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FiveBonsaiTreeeees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: No

Post by FiveBonsaiTreeeees »

Hi, can anyone assist me in finding a good courier company or independent service for interstate between Melbourne to Sydney or vise versa please...
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

FiveBonsaiTreeeees wrote: July 17th, 2022, 8:58 pm Hi, can anyone assist me in finding a good courier company or independent service for interstate between Melbourne to Sydney or vise versa please...
I use Sendle to send trees from Adelaide to Vic/Qld/NSW. Book online, put it out for the courier to collect, they deliver it. Never had an issue. For smaller stuff you can use the express option, otherwise I find the standard method is still very quick. At the height of lockdown madness they were still getting deliveries to Vic the next business day.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”